Cast off. I want to walk but can't..

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I broke my left distal fibula on 22/09/16 fortunately I didn't require surgery and was put in a cast. Non weight bearing for 6 weeks, finally got my cast off and the doctor had me put my trainer on and stand up the pain I got was terrible especially in my heel. So he gave me a moon boot and said to use it but to be walking around at home without it, I am fine In the boot with crutches but without the boot it's so sore. I just want to walk as a mother with 2 young children I have plenty to be getting on with. How long before this pain will go?  Should I just push through pain?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

The reason they tell you to wear the moonboot other than at home is for protection.

A lot of the pain is because of the tendons, nerves and tissue has been kept in one rigid place whilst it was in the cast.

It's a bit like a car that hasn't been used for a while and the brakes seize, so you have to unseize them and get them re-embedded by stretches and massage.

An athlete wouldn't go in a running competition without stretching and warming up first as their muscles are tight.

So get a dressing gown belt and put it under your foot and whilst sat down, use that to start pulling your foot towards you which will start stretching all of the tendons and nerves etc.

Then whilst sat is to get some moisturiser and massage around your heel and foot to help manipulate it.

I had an ankle replacement and prior to that my foot was fused for over 3 years, so I've had to do all of that as well.

As my foot hadn't bent or moved for over 3 years I was in excruciating pain as well but by doing what I've just said, I worked through it.

So do massage and stretching and you will soon see the difference.

I hope that helps?

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Thanks Jean I tried the massage and stretching today and felt a difference so will keep at it.
  • Posted

WALK! I was in same situation after 6 weeks I went to doctor and he said just "Push" & "Push" & "Push", ASAP. It was what he said to me, after 6 weeks and cast off.

• Posted

Pain is normal you will have that just take your pain meds and u have to push yourself things will get better trust me
    • Posted

Thanks I have a peptic ulcer so I try to lay off pain meds. But if it would help I could try maybe just a paracetamol.
    • Posted

I understand that... The first couple of days it will hurt but it will get better just push yourself because if u dont u will get stuck and it will become harder ... WHEN it was time I WAS so scared,because everyone was saying how bad it will hurt so for two days I was putting a lil weight at a time and on the 3 day I was walking with out crutches I also had a motivation song I would listen when I was walking and to me the pain wasn't as bad as I though it would be..then I had surgery to get my plates and screws removed from my previous surgery on Friday and I'm back to walking already I didn't hurt at all the second Time I have surgery Fri started walking MONDAY so I know you can do it push push push u Got this God has u covered ....I will be praying for u

• Posted

If it were me I would give more time for the muscles, tendons and such to heal. The pain reaction is due to your foot not being healed. You don't want to cause more damage.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I can only tell you that it is a process...begin my full weight bearing as you brush your teeth...boot back on feed the kids.. no boot full weight bear while you do the breakfast dishes boot back on make beds..

Ice and ekevation above your heart are your best friends.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks everyone I have booked myself a private physio appointment for tomorrow as I wasn't offered any by my hospital, I did do a self referral but they said i would be seen in up to 10 weeks. Hopefully it shall help, I have been doing a bit of walking (more like a half hop) I feel like I can walk but when I stand up to it's like I can't bring myself to lift my good leg off the ground!  Has anyone else experienced this?

• Posted

Hi Sarah

i think we are pretty much the same. I broke my ankle the cast came off after 6 weeks and I was handed a splint and told to walk as pain allowed.i ditched the splint on day 2 as it dug into my foot. The 1st week my calf was stiff, I had a feeling of red hot coals down my leg in a morning, I couldn't put much weight on my ankle which was swollen and bruised on the opposite side to the injury. Week 2 things got better and I gradually walked with 1 crutch, using 2 for distances. I can walk unaided but only indoors as I look a bit strange. I too have to concentrate about picking up each foot and moving it forward. Now 2 weeks and 3 days I can walk up to half a mile on 2 crutches putting lots of weight on the ankle , and hobble inside. Standing on one leg before walking seems to help. This forum is very helpful as I've been offered no physiopherapy, just a little book with excersises in( there are better ones on the internet). I get swelling which I deal with by using ice and elevate the leg. I feel better the more I use it, then I use it too much and have to rest as it's swollen. I don't even know if I'm doing things right as the doctor said I was fine and not to make another appointment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.