Cast off now have boot

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my cast off on Friday after a broken ankle. Doctor said I'm healed but now have to wear a boot for 3 weeks

I can take it off when resting sleeping and bathing

Just wondered y I have to have the boot if I'm healed

And how is it helping me to bear weight

Also I have a step to my house that I can go down but I'm finding it really hard to step up it I don't no if it's because I'm scared but my good leg seems to go to stone and not move when I get to a step

Anyone else have this or any advice pls

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liss,

The boot continues to cushion the injured area and protect it as well. After this kind of injury we are all scared to put weight on the bad ankle. The boot is a protective safety net.

Steps were my foe for a long time, after I got the boot. It's just a matter of trusting your leg again. Give yourself time. Practice.

It will come.

Remember:Step UP with the good leg, step DOWN with the bad.

You can do it. 😀

It's such a frustrating injury. Changes your whole world.

Take care and take your time. 💖

Karen

• Posted

Hi thank you.

I'm ok going down it's just up.

I have people in my ear do this do that and until you have actually done this I don't think they realise how scary it actually is

I just feel I'm never gonna be walking again properly.

The doctors told me it's healed and I've seen it myself on the X-ray I just really am a chicken

• Posted

Me too! My hubby teases me about it but until you've gone through this, you can't understand.

We RV all the time. I couldn't get up the stairs. I was so scared to put pressure down on the boot. So, I slid on my bottom up the stairs and then slid across the floor till I could pull myself up.

Everyone had a "better" idea of what I should do and what they would do if they were me. I know they meant well but they weren't me and they had NO idea the fear and the real awkwardness of trying to step or walk again.

The injury itself is traumatizing and the healing time is unbelievable.

It sounds like you know what's best for you. I understand how hard this is.

I'm at the 3 month mark. I can walk a few steps without a crutch but mostly need both crutches to move a little quicker than a turtle. 😀

I wish you the best of luck and a healthy recovery.

Karen

• Posted

Yes. I had surgery on March 8th. I fell down some steps and completely snapped my tibia and fibula. I can still hear the bones break. Ugh.

I have two clamps, a rod, and about 15 screws in my left leg.

I was several weeks in a splint then a cast then the boot.

Now I'm trying to walk w/o boot. Trying to walk slow so I can have a normal gait and no limp.

This may take awhile but I am determined. 😀

• Posted

I didn't have surgery just a temp cast for a week a fibreglass cast for 4 weeks now I have the boot for 3 weeks.

How long did your swelling last?

I just really wanna get back to normal but at the minute feel this is never going to happen x

• Posted

I still have swelling when I'm on my leg too much. Doc said to expect the leg to swell and turn bright red for a few months. He also said ankle injuries take a full year to get back to "normal."

I'm just happy to weight bear and not have to hop everywhere. That drove me crazy!

• Posted

I convinced myself I was going to take my little boy to nursery today with my mum but when she got here I couldn't bring myself to do it I don't no if I'm expecting too much just 3 days out of cast and into boot

• Posted

Well, see how you feel in a few days. I didn't take to the boot right away. I liked that it protected my leg but it took awhile to learn to walk in it.

Also, your body is working overtime to continue to heal the site of the break. Nerves. Tendons.

You may need to just build up your stamina.

I couldn't walk further than to my patio outside without being exhausted.

I walked a little more each day but it took 3 weeks before I could walk around a store or be out for a length of time.

Time and patience. You are not alone. 😁

• Posted

I got the rocker boot I just don't feel steady on it without the crutches and it's so heavy haha the doctors told me to walk with the crutches so I don't no if he ment the whole time

I'm going to go mother and toddler group tomorrow with my little boy but a friends going to drive me so it's just a matter of getting from the car to the place which is all flat ground

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.