Cast removed after 1 week

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my cast removed after 1 week and now have a air cast. My incisions were infected and this way we can keep an eye on it. I like it as I can massage the foot and leg to increase blood flow. My question is, if I am just laying on the couch do I need it on? Plus my doc said with plates and screws its good as new. If thats the case why can't we walk?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susie,

im not sure what procedure you had done but if it was an ankle fusion, the bones need to fuse together before you can put weight on it. There's no reason why you need your boot on laying down but for me personally, it felt better with the boot on. I was told I didn't need to sleep with the boot on but I do because it felt better with it on. I'm over six weeks now & still need my boot. Good luck with your healing journey. Just listen to your body, you will know. 

• Posted

Hi Suzie,

I am in a similar boat as you. Had fusion as one of the multiple procedures they did back on July 12th and was supposed to be in a cast after 10 days but the cast lasted 6 hours before it had to come off.

I have been in a removable boot that comes about 80% up below my knee since.

I am still no weight bearing (hoping Tuesdays appointment will change that). If I was on the couch or recliner etc with my leg up I took the boot off quite frequently (told the doctor as well and he was fine with it) but his concer from otger patients experience is they have the boot off and say have to use the restroom and think that very thing of "the bone is screwed and plated and it's only 10ft I'll just walk, or they use crutches or a walker and whack the ankle against a wall, or lose balance and put their foot down full weight bearing and it results in damage to the ankle because it hasn't healed. I have personally talked with 2 people that has happened too and it resulted in doing another surgery to fix it. One point of mention if you are only one week out and can take the boot off don't make the same mistake I did. My doctor told me he felt I should be fine to shower and get it wet. Wait until the bandages (I am assuming you have sterile strips covering the incision points) to naturally start to fall off. My issue was the strips got wet and would never completely dry up after a shower (yes I used a shower chair) and the result was an infection on one of my 11 incisions and a could order from the rest because the water and blood residue made.for a horrible combination. Those sterile strips Will start to lift and naturally come.off. I personally recommend waiting till then

• Posted

Good as new!!!  hes having a laugh. Im now 5mths down the line and STILL suffering. Yes I have come on, bt its been a long struggle. Walking free from aids now but still have to use a crutch some days  just to help with the pain, as i can put my weight on the crutch and not fully on my ankle. , swelling not too bad but still there around the outside of my ankle, which makes it look horrid.  dont think i will ever go into dresses again, just not feeling hppy in the shoes i now have to wear...granny dappers are just not for me.  sad  To answer your question about keeping the boot on, I never kept mine on while resting or sleeping, but please dont try and think you can do the short trips to anywhere without putting it back on, as you dont want to fall and do more damage. I know its a pain, just the sound of that horrid Velcro drove me mad!!  lol  Hoping your wounds soon heal.  sx 
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

When you say  you still have pain around your ankle, does it feel like it's right in the bone by your incision? Did it ever go away? I still have pain around my incision but the pain feels like it's right in the ankle bone itself. I can't imagine having to put weight on that in three weeks. 

• Posted

To be quite honest I don't really know what it is that gives the pain, but it's on the inside so must be bone, it aches a lot, incision does get sore sometimes. Swelling is right where the ankle bone should be showing, but no way seeing that anymore!! I couldn't put weight on mine till about 13 weeks or more. Sx

• Posted

No weight till 13 weeks? Yikes. Was there a prior checkup and xray to that point to where the doctor decided to wait longer? Just wondering as i have my 8 week xray and checkup on Tuesday and as cautious as my surgeon is about everything I'm nervous that he's going to say wait longer. I know I have to take.it easy and let things heal but I have vacation in December and really want to avoid being on my knee scooter

• Posted

13 weeks 😧😡😭. It has been only 3 weeks for me and I have already had enough.

• Posted

Suzie, I was in the same time frame and situation as you with the cast thing being very short termed. Personally if you are on crutches it's going to be as hard as they say it is, not lying. Best thing you can do is find ways to stay busy. I bought a knee scooter (one with big wheels on it) and it was a blessing as it allowed me to live and I made sure that every day I did atleast 1 thing outside (while taking it easy still) and it kept me from going crazy. But as the days go buy trust me when I say it gets easier

. My biggest issue is the boot is almost a second nature part of my body and feels weird to not have it on now but I only take it off to shower and to air it out at the end of the day... but I sleep with it and have it on ALL day propped up on my.desk while at work. Keep your head up and just make sure you take care of it

• Posted

Hi Sandra, I'm just curious is they ever checked to see if the hardware is causing your ankle pain. I'm scared thinking he's going to give me the go ahead to partial weight bear in 15 days & I don't think that will be possible. The pain around my ankle where the incision is hadn't changed much since first day of surgery. It also feels like there's a rope tied around my whole ankle. My foot is as stiff a board. I think I will need a lot of help. 

• Posted

Hi barb. My consultant discharged me, saying he's happy that he has done everything he could do so passed me onto physio. Also told me that if she thought there was a problem then they could refer me back. I've been worried about the amount of pain I'm getting, today had been BAD. And all I've done is site all day on laptop trying to find car insurance for my son who passed test today... It's taken hrs n hrs. Not have empty bank account..

😔. So why I have so much pain puzzles me. Most of my pain is on outside where the biggest problem was and where a lrg plate n screws were put also over top of ankle right on the bend this is where it looks ugly due to horrible swelling. My foot is also very stiff with not a lot of movement. I'm awaiting appt from both ankle and knee surgeon. Let's hope it's not too long. Really really down with it all. Hoping your pain eases up for you to start light weight barring soon. It's frightening and hard work but has to be done. Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.