Cast Removed Need Sleep Advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my fibula on 13th December and displaced my ankle.  I had surgery a couple of days later having a plate and screw inserted.  Having survived 6 weeks of non weight bearing in a cast I finally had it removed on Thursday and into a walking boot.  My surgeon said I can remove the boot to exercise my ankle, wash and for bed but still non weight bearing for another 6 weeks until the screw is removed.

?My biggest problem is trying to get comfy at night as ankle does aches and whatever position I put it in it hurts my knee and hips so hardly getting any sleep.  Also worried about doing anything that might cause the screw to break.

?Feeling very depressed about it all at the moment so if anyone has any advice on sleeping or recover I would be grateful as it feels at the moment like I will never walk again.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor. I had to wear my boot at night for extra support.  What does your PT say?
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your injury. I too had my ankle fracture but my doctor said no surgery needed just a cast for 7 weeks and walking booth for 4 weeks. 7 months later my ankle has fully healed. However back when they removed my cast, I did had a hard time sleeping. I remember I would put pillows to elevate my ankle at nights to let me sleep. Also I would take pain medicine to let me sleep faster. I know is different in your situation but maybe if you can elevate your ankle and take pain medicine might help. A friend who also had his ankle broken, mention he would put on his walking boot at nights to sleep better maybe that can help you. Hope you recover soon   
  • Posted

At first, I look the tongue out of my aircast and didn't pump it up as much while sleeping with it on. That helped to provide protection and sufficient extra support. Later on I was comfortable sleeping without it (I am a very still sleeper, so I wasn't much worried about knocking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.