Cast to boot . . . what to expect?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Mid thirties female here, bimalleolar fracture with dislocation on 7/21, surgery on 8/1. In about ten days, I'm transitioning from a hard cast to a walking boot. My surgical staples will be removed the same day. I've been on a knee scooter since the third day after my injury as I'm very bad with crutches. All totaled, I'll be NWB for about 4 weeks before the boot. I'm pretty scared to put weight on my ankle needless to say. What can I expect from the transition? What do I need to be prepared? Do people really use shoe lifts for the uninjured foot? Does the boot irritate the incision site?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can you tell me your walking boot experience? On 4/17 I broke my left ankle in 3 places and dislocated it. I had surgery on 4/26, and on June 6th I'll be in a walking boot. The doctor said I'd get a pneumatic boot and I would start PT and be able to put weight on it with help from my walker. They had to put in plates and screws. My main desire is to be able to walk down my stairs from my 2nd floor condo and drive to the store and just get out of my house. Can you tell me what I can expect the first week, and how long it'll take me to get in full NWB mode? Thanks

• Posted

Hi I have broke my ankle tibia and fibula on the 24/3/2018 nwb at the moment how long will it be before I can walk again I have a cast on now for 4 weeks but had a back slab on first for 2 weeks. I am getting moon boot when cast comes off.
    • Posted

I had the sane break as you and a plate and screws on one side,screws on the other. I started partial weight bearing in the boot at 6 weeks. That's still with crutches just putting a little weight on the foot, then progressing to full weight bearing in the boot by about 8 weeks. At 10 weeks full weight bearing in shoes for me, went back to work at 11 1/2 weeks. I am 63 years old but have been active and healthy, never smoked., not overweight.

?You should expect to be walking on both feet with no aid by 10-12 weeks. Its not easy, you basically have to retrain your leg and foot to walk again, but with good physical therapy and doing your exercises you will! 

I'm 16 weeks now. It still swells and hurts some at night but its getting better.

• Posted

I had ankle arthroscopy last Wednesday and expected to be walking and driving by now but when I woke up after surgery I'm in a soft cast and non weight bearing for 2 weeks. I'm guessing because he found alot of scar tissue and a bone spur and was breaking his tools to try and get it out is the reason I'm nwb for this long. What should I expect at my 2 week appointment. Thanks just checking

• Posted

My staples were just removed. Boot doesn’t bother my incision. 
  • Posted

Hello! I broke my ankle in April and had surgery the following week, it's now the 7th week out. Will I be able to walk without pain, 6 days from getting a walking boot?

I’m currently in a removable boot and my next appointment is this Friday. I’m expecting to get a walking boot on that day. I’m going on vacation on the 28th of this month and I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to walk without pain w the boot but without the crutches? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.