Cast VS. Air cast boot

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

Looking for advice on what you guys would do. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out from my tendon/ligament surgery.

Was in splint cast/ then cast one, cast two and PA said this Tuesday I have the option of getting another cast or go in an air cast. I haven't seen my doc since surgery so I'm  a bit confused as when I had the surgery he said def cast until Dec 20th then a boot/air cast. 

Have any of you had the option and or cast then air cast... which was better? (if you can say there is a better choice! ) LOL

Thanks,

Rose

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Rose,

In my case, I wore a CAM boot (air cast) for about 6 weeks non-weight-bearing, then another 2 weeks partial-weight-bearing- this was for ankle fracture/sprain. My orthopedist never even mentioned using a cast.

Of course each individual case is different, but if your doctor is giving you a choice of boot or cast, I would opt for a boot.

The thing about a cast is that it is always there-- unlike a boot you can't remove it to wash or air out your leg and foot. It may be uncomfortable (surgical wound itching, rash, etc.) after a while. And it would be impossible to do any physical therapy (like ankle rotations) your doctor permits at this stage. The sooner you can work those dormant tissues then so much easier and faster will be your final recovery.

A boot, on the other hand, can be taken off anytime you like (as long as you are resting ankle and not bearing weight or moving it in a manner that might hurt it). If ankle affected is your driving foot (for gas and brake pedals) you can walk to car in  boot, and then put on shoe-- keeps your mobility (but only do this if your doctor approves).

Cast stays on in bed, but if doctor approves you can remove boot for bedtime.

Note that using a boot requires you harness into it properly and securely to immobilize ankle parts just like a cast would do. Your doctor or their assistant should show you how to do this correctly. And wearing a boot requires common sense and discipline when boot is off.

Do not cheat and put weight or stress on ankle because you are only going a short distance and you are too lazy or distracted to put boot back on for a few minutes.

A cast will always be custom made and fit you perfectly. Buying a boot is like selecting other footwear-- you may not always get a perfect fit.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks KP.... I decided to stick with the cast for one more week. I think it was the smarter choice for me. I appreciate your input.! 

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.