Castor oil for dry eyes

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have suffered with dry itchy red irritable eyes for years. Tried all the drops creams eyelid sprays none of them really helped hardly at all. I have read that castor oil really helps people with dry eyes by using them as eye drops. Also you can actually buy castor oil drops. When i went into boots to ask about them they didn't sell either and also said they wouldn't recommend using castor oil in the eyes but didn't give much of a reason why. I'm a bit confused now as i read some really good reports from people using them. Has anyone here ever used castor oil/drops for dry eyes and got any good reports. I just don't know whether to try it or not. I hope someone can help.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with chronic dry eyes so prescribed Restasis. I use it twice a day and also over the counter preservative free eye drops.
  • Posted

You are right about the castor oil but its the cold pressed pharmaceutical type you need,it is a very pure sterile one and not the run of the mill type you would find in Boots,you could possibly buy online but please check the companys credentials you buy from first.I have read lots of good things about it being very good for many eye conditions even helping with cataracts  it might be wise to have a discussion with your doctor first your eyesight is very precious to go taking any chances.If your doctor oks it and you do try then I'm sure many on here would be interested in how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have found some castor oil eye drops on amazon. They seem to be good quality ones organic etc but like you said it's probably best to check with the doctor first. I've actually got an appointment with him tomorrow about something else, so if i can fit it in my 10 minute slot with him I'll mention it. I hope he says they're safe to use as i can't wait to try them and hopefully get some relief from these constant gritty red itchy eyes of mine.I'll keep you updated.

• Posted

My doctor said not to use the castor oil or the eye drops in my eyes. So I'll have to take his word for it. Such a shame. Oh well carry on suffering in silence.

• Posted

doctors know nothing about whats healthy they only know and have been taught about pharmeceutial drugs.   I have been using organic hexane free castor oil for 3  years it is so soothing and it makes my vision sharper.   has to be put in before bed by morning your eyes feel wonderful and it lasts all day no need for the eye drops at the drug store.   castor oil is antibacterial it even makes the whites of my eye whiter.    Do your own research don't count on doctors they know very little about health.

• Posted

I'm new to this site and glad I found it. I use castor oil Hexane free for lots of things including dry eyes and it works very well. I have had no problem with my eyes since using the oil. I have had my cataracts removed and there is no oil residue left on my eyeballs in the morning, My eyes look very healthy. I will be seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks and will be interested to hear what he says about my eye health since having the cataracts removed one year ago. Unfortunately, I did not receive 20/20 vision in my right eye and am very disappointed, it was 20/40 one year ago and I am anxious to see if there has been any improvement.

• Posted

You did n't mention wether you have tried taking supplements that are supposed to be good for eye health,my doctor recommended omega 3 for my dry eye problem but as an IBS sufferer they did n't agree with me so did n't really use them for a length of time.A friend who has worked in nutrition has recommended Lutein which is supposed to be very good for eye health  so I may go down that route as like yourself I have been working my way through the vast amoubt of drops out there.

• Posted

Yes i have been taking omega 7 sea buckthorn oil capsules for 16 months now. They are supposed to help maintain normal function of the mucous membrane such as the eyes nose and mouth. Of the reviews written by people taking them everyone said they were fantastic and cured their dry eyes and that they didn't have to use eye drops or creams or sprays anymore. It must be me because they did absolutely nothing to help my eyes. I'm going to finish my box then i won't be re ordering anymore. Very expensive for something that doesn't work. Please let me know how you get on with the lutein.

• Posted

Yes I will do but like most of these supplements will give it a bit of time.I do do one thing that actually does help with my dry eyes and thats to sleep on my back if I can,I found out by accident when I had a bad back that the nights I slept only on my back my eyes were nt soo bad when I woke in the morning,then by chance I came across an article that said that some research had been done and that it can in some cases help,its something to do with drainage in your eye.If I cant manage all night on my back I sleep on my right side which is the lesser effected eye and the bad one on the left is again not so bad in the morning.Might sound potty but when your desperate you will give anything a go.
    • Posted

I agree with you on that.

Hope you find something that works for you one day. If you do please let me know , and I'll do the same.

Best wishes Maureen.

• Posted

Castor oil contains powerful fatty acids and other antioxidants that can benefit your eyes. But it is always best to use safer castor oil products available particularly for your ailment, which are sterile and chemical-free. 
  • Posted

Castor Oil comes from the seed of the castor shrub. It contains unique fats (ricinoleiec acid) and anti-oxidants and is anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory. Massaging it onto eyelids, brows and lashes will help unclog eye glands and get circulation in the ducts.
  • Posted

Sorry Maureen, I'm new so I posted my reply on Dianne's 97793 by accident, please read my reply and I hope it helps if you haven't found anything else. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.