Cataract after retinal Laser

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was wondering if PASCAL laser (yellow light) could damage the ocular lens, and cause Cataract after retinal tear or hole treatment? I got cataract in my eyes only 1 Month after this treatment, is it only a coincidence ? In addition i got floaters too, which i have never seen before, even if i m very nearsighted. Thank you for answers !

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I did a cursory googling and came upon an article dated 1998-Feb-02 "Acquired cataracts after argon laser photocoagulation for retinopathy of prematurity (infants)". The conclusion: "Argon laser photocoagulation remains  ... . The incidence of cataract formation is approximately 1% and may be more likely to occur when persistent hyaloidal vessels are present on the lens."

• Posted

Thank you for your answer, i saw this article but i think that it is related only to the infants born prematurely, and i don't know if we can apply that to my case.

• Posted

That study was over 20 years old. And the "incidence of cataract formation is approximately 1%". Hope that alleviates some of your anxiety.

• Posted

If you go to britkennels ' discussion "Anyone else with lattice degeneration/thin retinas that HAS had cataract surgery?"  Britkennels, robert20416 and Eye-Kan-Sea, they all already had cataracts, before proceeding to Argon Laser treatments. But then you are so young and in a different category. There are some words of wisdom there, apparently Argon Laser is no guarantee that a retina hole/tear/detachment won't happen again. I wonder if there are any specific vitamin supplements to take other than Omega-3, flaxseeds, Lutein, zinc, billbery, zeaxanthin ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.