Cataract follow up - Why can't doctors be empathetic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I can't thank this community enough which helped me ask right questions in my last week appointment with two follow up doctors for second and third opinion.

Background

RD in left eye with poor vision, 4 / 60. Cataract in right eye has progressed a bit limiting my night driving and activities because of reduced contrast sensitivity and glare & halos from car headlights & streetlights.

Problems I am dealing with currently:

1. Due to surgeries (VR, SOR, Cataract, Yag) left eye underwent, it looks a

Doctor X

Super happy with how the whole 30 minutes conversation went. The doctor was very empathetic and listened to every questions I had. He told that eyes become more myopic after RD surgery. That's the reason why left eye appears slightly bigger than the right one. The minor squint in the bad eye is because of difference in vision. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to fix these two problems.

I asked about the risk of RD post cataract surgery. He said that the risk is very slim given the health of retina.

Doctor Y

Very over hyped and had a very bad experience. He didn't even make eye contact. The whole conversation was over in a minute. Looks like he got p****d off that I won't get surgery done there. He recommended monofocal with intermediate and distance correction.

All three doctors have recommended to get the cataract surgery done. Looks like there is no escape from it. Multifocal is not an option for me.

Questions

1. Can monofocal correct two distances -- intermediate and distance?
  2. How precise surgeon's calculations turn out to be with respect to power of glasses post surgery?
  3. Why do we need to wear progressive glasses if intermediate and distance are corrected by monofocal? I mean, only reading glasses should be needed post surgery, No?
  4. What factors should I look into for choosing distance vs near monofocal correctness? I have been myopic and wearing glasses 16 hours a day for the last 18 years.
  5. What is the recovery time post surgery? After how much time do they prescribe glasses? I am scared as my other eye is not of much use. How would I perform daily chores while I am recovering.

As always, thanks for all your help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

will try to answer your questions based on my experience. i have monofocal lens. LE intermediate , RE distance thus past fall.

1.yes

2. precise, i dont wear glasses for distance, bee wearing glasses since i was 8 years old

3. i used cheap readers +1.25 for close reading, but i see excellently in bright light.

4. cant answer

5. could see ok RE! LE took about one week to clear up.but i have a cornea problem( ABMD)

everyone is very different, but cataract surgery was life changing for the best!

• Posted

1. they can if you get monovision. one eye set for distance and other eye for intermediate. you could also get the eyehance which is supposed to give you distance and some intermediate. or you could do monovision with the eyehance lens.
    2. the calculations are precise but given your eye history i would ask for intra operative measurement such as ORA.
    3. if you dont chose monovision with monofocal and choose distance you will need progressive for near and intermediate.
    4. difficult to answer. depends on personal preference.
    5. immediate to 5 days.
  • Posted

Hi Dan,

I hear your frustration and want to clarify some things because I have a feeling Mutti3's answers refer to cases when both eyes have monofocal IOLs, as in their case.

1. A monofocal lens can be set for one focal distance, of your choosing. There is some extension of that distance in some people, so a good percentage (but not a majority I don't think) have workable intermediate vision even with a monofocal lens set for distance.

2. They usually do a very good job at calculating for IOLs, but biological and surgical issues mean that anything up to 1 diopter variation is considered standard of care. So,half diopter in either direction.

3. See 1.

4. You get to choose! I had also been mildly) nearsighted nearsighted for decades. I like being farsighted now but it is an adjustment to a different experience of living. Think about what's most important to you to do without glasses. I am very outdoorsy so distance without glasses is important. Others choose to stay nearsighted and use glasses for distance.

5. Very quick...days. You will be able to do basic non-exertional things immediately. It does take weeks to settle in fully though and so prescription eyeglasses wouldn't be wise until a couple of months out.

There are cheap readers and alsoalso cheap distance glasses you can buy (distance ones on Amazon - use smile.amazon. and pick charity so you benefit as you shop! 😃

I used cheap distance lglasses preoperatively when I could no longer use contact lenses to prepare for the operation

• Posted

Because from what you said you have retinal detachment in one eye so it would not benefit from a cataract removal on that side.

If they are considering IOL in the eye with retinal detachment, you'd have to get the experience of someone who also had that done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.