Cataract monofocal IOL far or near?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 67 yrs old, I have cataracts both eyes, left eye cataract level 3.5, right eye 2.5, the doctor asked me can you read with out glasses I said yes then he picked nearsighted at -2.50 for monofocal IOL. He says I will be able to read at 16" not more or less without glasses.

He discuss about arm's length he thinks to add from -2.50 to 2.75 so I can read alittle bit closer to 13" without glasses.

Sadly, I know I will not be able to see close up as I can see upclose to 6" without glasses, both eyes are different, left eye at 5" and right eye at 6". I believe it is because with cataract it can cause to have second sight. so maybe I am not really nearsighted??

I am not sure which is best near or far for momofocal IOL.

Right now I can not read without glasses at arm's length and I can take off my glasses read upclose at 6" not farther I need my glasses to read or cook or read computer.

I read some here on this site and find some people prefer far distance rather than near.

I am confused which is best? I don't mind wearing glasses after surgery.

Help me understand what is IOL power, is that RX?

If you choose far distance is it required to add eyeglasses RX on IOL? can you have without eyeglasses rx in IOL? Is the IOL power is same as rx eyeglasses?

I don't understand how it works the IOL power for far distance?

Is it possible to have iol inplanted wthout rx correction and then wear correction glasses?

Thank you, I am just learning and just want to make the right choice.

oh here is my RX

OD Sph -2.75 Cyl -2.00 Axis 070 add +2.50

OS Sph -3.00 Cyl -2.00 Axis 093 add +2.50

Am I myopia? thank you,

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sir, i will just explain what i did in hopes it will  help you.  i'm 63 have been near sighted for close to 50 years.   because of cataracts driving had become difficult, almost impossible at night....   i got both my eyes implanted with a monofocal lense for distance.  my gosh, the result was miraculous.  i cannot ever remember seeing like this.    now, the down side for distance only lenses,  anything closer than three feet i see somewhat blurry.  i can cook, look at car dash board,  eat my dinner, all things that i need to do.   except read a book, or work on the computer. for those two things my near vision is not sharp enough, i use cheap reading glasses.  if i were to take up my crafting again, i would need glasses for that also. 

what do you do most of the day...do you use your near vision the most, or are you outdoors where you need to see far.   please, just keep in mind that if you correct as you stated for just near, you will not be able to watch tv, grocery sho

p, anything from 3 to 5 feet out without glasses or contacts.   and your astigmastim is high it needs to be attened to or you vision will likely be blurry at all distances.  have another talk with your surgeon until you do understand.

• Posted

Hi sue13546,

Thanks for sharing your info, glad to hear that you are happy with the results, what was your nbr D on your IOL card that the dr gave you for you to carry it with you?

RE: now, the down side for distance only lenses, anything closer than three feet i see somewhat blurry. i can cook, look at car dash board, eat my dinner, all things that i need to do. except read a book, or work on the computer. for those two things my near vision is not sharp enough, i use cheap reading glasses

Ok, eat dinner or cook or look at dash board thats 18" from you? so thats somewhat blurry for you? (closer than 3 feet)

Can you ask for glasses for intermediate distance like 18" to 30"? to see clear if you want to? but you said you can cook seeing ok? 18" look at dashboard, eat your dinner but it is somewhat blurry.

I am short 5' tall and for me if I cook it'll be 16-18" eat dinner is 10" I also like to do gardening thats about 24-30"? can you see ok somewhat blurry at that range?

does it not bother you somewhat blurry? do you think vison get better as muscles change to help you see better without glasses? How up close can you see without glasses? How can you see your face in the mirror? with reading glasses?

Were you able to see upclose at 5"-6" before surgery? did you wear progressive lens before surgery?

I do not understand how IOL vision or rx works did the dr put your rx from your eye glasses in your IOL, what did he put down on?

sorry for many questions, just trying to understand.

Haven't read anyone posted with their near IOL choice if they were happy with it or not.

I wish this forum allow to have private message, I don't see where it is.

thanks much for your help,

• Posted

yes i can see my face in the mirror from about a foot away. it's just somewhat out of focus.  with glasses on i see fine. sunnyjan, it's just a in lifestyle.  i too loved my close vision.  i could read a book at about 12 inches and do my nails without glasses..... but now i just put on my readers and i can still do those things.  i never thought that i would be eyeglass free and i'm not. but what i gained is so much more than what i lost.  the colors outside are beautiful again..  i know that you will make the right decision for you. let us know how things turned out.  praying for you

• Posted

Thanks for your prayers i need that. smile still haven't decide yet but almost there I think.

• Posted

meant to add yes i do miss my near vision, but in just two months, i got used to it. what i gained is far, far better for me...if i were an younger women perhaps i'd think differently. wishing you all the best

• Posted

first off, you do not need to worry about your old eye glass prescription being inaccurate.  the surgeon does not use that to calculate the power of your iol. you will have several tests at the docs office which will help him to calculate the power that he will use.    twhen i use the word blurry , it seems too strong. think not totally sharp. as if up close i see in 144 instead of hd. yes with progressive glasses can see as close of you want to.  .ok.  i rarely have glasses on, unless i'm reading or am at the computer.  i cannot see super close without a magnifying glass.  whatever you can see at before surgery, you need to forget about. if you get a monofocal iol it will focuse at one distance only.  your eyes will not be able to accommodate like when we're young.   yes it's a trade off but before my surgery my best corrected vision with glasses was just 20/60 i could no longer drive at night because of glare from the headlights.. if you choose monofocals for distance, very clear near vision will be lost.  if you don't mind wearing glasses, than you can get progressives to have accuate near vision.  you cannot use my results to calculate wha

• Posted

oops,   your results will be different.  it depends on your eyes and alot of other variables.  sorry i can't be of more help  sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.