Cataract newbie...surgery in 2 days!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went in for a consultation yesterday and the surgery is fixed for Wednesday. I've chosen eyhance for my non dominant eye. Only one eye has cataract currently.

Spent the last 6 months getting 2 vitrectomies (second one 2 weeks back). Haven't spent much time studying cataracts.

What do I need to know before going in for the surgery!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Know that being apprehensive is normal. They will give you something before the surgery that will make you not apprehensive.

You may have trouble sleeping the night before. So that is a good time to take a sleeping pill.

You need a ride home.

They have done this a lot, and it is a very practiced procedure.

You need to know what to eat before. For me, they said to eat a light breakfast.

Your eyes will be dialated, so some dark sunglasses are good. You have been through that before.

You will need to apply eye drops. You should know there is more than one right way to apply the drops. I like to look up at the drop close to the cornea, so blurry. Slowly squeeze so I don't know when the drop will come, so I don't have time to blink.

Expect some weird vision effects, such as shimmering or glare, for a while. "While" varies. Maybe a day. Maybe a bit longer. That is normal.

Were those the kinds of things you were talking about?

Tell us about the 2 vitrectomies. Getting an IOL is very common. Vitrectomies are not.

• Posted

That is good advice. I couldn't really add much. I got some very dark glasses from the clinic and they were well worth it. My eye seemed very sensitive to changing light the day after the surgery. Traffic lights on my way to the day after exam were brutal. I didn't drive fortunately.

• Posted

I wouldn't take a sleeping pill if you're going to be getting any sort of IV sedation, and also in that case you shouldn't eat anything after midnight, but of course follow whatever instructions you've been given. I was given dark glasses to wear home (much darker than standard sunglasses), so you might ask about that.

But it will all be over before you know it, and compared to a vitrectomy this will be a breeze!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.