Cataract operation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been to the hospital and they told me I could have the operation if I wish or leave it to see if it get worse.  I am 65 years old and am disabled and use a wheelchair all the time and have many health problems which afects my confidence in a big way.  My questen is can I have a full anesthetic in Hospital to have the  operation?  That way I might be brave enough to have done.  confused

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am 66 and like you disabled though no so bad -I only have to use my wheelchair outside the house.  I am just writing to let you know that I had my cataract assessment appointment yesterday and I was actually offered a choice of either local or general anaesthetic. I chose local as I always have a very bad reaction to general anaesthetic but at least there was the option. The operation is to be October 10th so do no even have to wait very long!
  • Posted

Hi legless66, discuss it with your Ophthalmologist.  I know exactly how you feel about local anaesthetics!  I had my eye done when I was 40 and was told that I had to have General.

They will tell you that any general anaesthetic isn't without risk and I think that is why they prefer to do older peoples eyes under a local.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice.  It could also be due to the cost

• Posted

and reducing the waiting list, ops done under LA are obviously speedier than those done under GA

Hope all goes well

• Posted

Hi again.  When u had it done was the experience ok?
  • Posted

I honestly don't know how much anesthetic I was given, but don't think I was completely out with the first one. I remember seeing a bright light. I think I was out for the second one. About three days later, I had a blood clot in my left leg. I had been on Tamoxifen for five years (minus 8 days) and clots are a side effect with that med so I will never know what caused it.

My first one was given when I was in my early 70s. The last one a few years later.

I'm pretty much of a chicken, too, but I have learned that general anesthesia is risky when given to older people. I will avoid it if I possibly can from now on. Google it. 

• Posted

Hi

i had the op in January. I requested GA but was persuaded by the consultant to have LA. The worst part is the thought of it, the actual op is a doddle. You will feel nothing and are only aware of a bright light 

Go for it!

• Posted

HI  The only trouble is I cannot lay on my nack because of the pain I have and cannot keep still so the way I  see it is the full GA
    • Posted

Hope you are right - I have my cataract operation on Friday afternoon by LA. However for me it could well be more complicated as I have uveitis, and also have had a macular aneurysm, and raised intraocular pressure in the same eye about 8 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.