Cataract performance indicators.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Risk adjusted Posterior Capsular Rupture rate (%It is often suggested that we should seek out a surgeon with an excellent track record in cataract surgery. But how can we do this? Does a UK NHS patient have options?

I have noticed that two performance indicators are published by the NHS for cataract surgeons:

Risk adjusted posterior capsule rate.

Risk adjusted visual acuity loss rate.

I have no idea what might be considered unacceptable ratings for these factors. Presumably someone would take action before that point is reached.

I’d be interested to know if anyone here has researched this subject.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please ignore first post! Could not find way of amending.

It is often suggested that we should seek out a surgeon with an excellent track record in cataract surgery. But how can we do this? Does a UK NHS patient have options?

I have noticed that two performance indicators are published by the NHS for cataract surgeons:

Risk adjusted posterior capsule rate.

Risk adjusted visual acuity loss rate.

I have no idea what might be considered unacceptable ratings for these factors. Presumably someone would take action before that point is reached.

I’d be interested to know if anyone here has researched this subject.

• Posted

Dont worry ophthalmic surgeons are continuously scrutinised.

There are a huge number of people in theatres with them every time they do an operation.

If they were making mistakes leading to PCR - it would be picked up and they would be stopped from doing the operation.

• Posted

I have had both of my eyes done & both were steroid induced, the first was in 1992, the second in March this year.

I didn't do any research prior to the first, I was just glad to get it done.  The second, I already knew the reputation of the Consultant who did it.

You may not know who is going to do your op unless you go privately or you have some obscure disease.

Word of mouth is a good way to start.  It really depends on where you live too, you might not have as many options in some parts of the UK.

I googled the terms you mentioned & that gives you all sorts of options & links.  I assume you have done that too?

• Posted

While it is always a good idea to check about the cataract surgery record of a surgeon, one has to remember that the Posterior Capsule rupture is more of a function of an individual's eye than of a surgeon's skill. For example, if an individual has a Posterior Capsule rupture in one eye, there is a higher chance that he/she may have such a rupture in the second eye. Some surgeons may simply opt to not do cataract surgery on such patients, while others may want to see if it can be done successfully.

Actually,  in such cases, it is even more important to consider the skill of the surgeon in dealing with the Posterior Capsule rupture (when it does happen) so that the bad effects of such a rupture are limited. Simply looking at a surgeon's posterior capsule rupture rate will provide no useful information about that skill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.