Cataract post op question

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi! I had monofocal for distance lenses implanted in both eyes. Left eye 2 month ago and the right one - 1 month ago. I can see perfectly with both eyes. Vision is 20/20 in each one. But, when I close my right eye and look at the street sign, letters are blurry, even though it was sharp after surgery. When I look at the computer, it is opposite.

Left eye is sharp and right one is blurry. I had both eyes already fully examined and everything looks fine. Could it be that my eyes are still settling? Should I expect the same vision in both eyes? I have slight astigmatism. Could it be the reason for all this?

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Adele

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adele, I would definitely give the healing process more time but how wonderful it is that you can see 20/20 with both eyes open!! And it's possible that your eyes (and brain) are adjusting for distance and near sight vision to get that 20/20 sight which is why you see a bit differently when you look through only one eye. (Note: And take my comment with a grant of salt since I'm not an eye doctor!) Wishing you all the best!

• Posted

Thanks, mjcg! I am definitely happy, after years of, like, looking through the cloud, seeing the world crisp and clear. And, at 70, I can't expect having the eyesight of 20 year old. But this healing and adjustment process really scares me. I thought that, after 2 months, everything should be settled, adjusted and be done with. But no such luck. When will this end? Very frustrating!

Thanks again for you kind and encouraging reply.

Adele

• Posted

did your right eye get better for close as a result?

how is your near vision with both eyes?

this might be a good thing as your near may have become better.

• Posted

soks, thanks for your reply! For my near vision I am using my old glasses (+1D) that I used for watching TV before surgery. I knew that I will need glasses for reading because lenses are set for distance. And I have no problem with that. I understand that my right eye, that was operated on one month ago, is still in the process of healing. I don't understand, though,

why the vision in my left eye, after two months, is still changing. I thought that, by this time, it should be settled. Is there a time frame for the eye to settle and brain to adjust? I also thought that vision in both eyes should be the same.

Also, since the surgery, the space between the upper lid end eye brow is puffy. Both eyes, but more on the left side. Is it a muscle that was damaged in the surgery or what?

And another strange thing. Sometimes, especially by the end of the day, with my right eye, I can see my upper eye lushes. I can see how they move with my upper lid. If I pull upper lid up (or, if I hold eye lushes with the finger) my vision is clear. It doesn't happen all the time, but, when it does, it's annoying. I asked the doctor about it. She didn't give me any credible answers.

Thanks again for your reply.

Adele

• Posted

hi adele

even i notice the eye lid of my operated than the other so.

more so because i can see the relection of symfony circles in them.

• Posted

Hi soks,

I have monofocal lens implanted, no Symfony. As I understand, monofocals have less complications than any other type of lens.

Also, is it normal that, after 2 months, sometimes my eye is clouded over? It happened twice today. Is it dry eye thing or something else? It couldn't be that IOL is still settling in the capsule bag, is it?

Thanks again for your reply.

Adele

• Posted

soks you can see the rings of symfony in the mirror? I don't notice them st all. Thought they were only visible to a doc with their equipment?

• Posted

no i cant see the rings in the mirror. i can see their reflection sometimes on my glasses. and also on anything that creates a pinhole effect like eye lashes or if i look through a fist pinhole.

• Posted

Hi Adele:)

Yes, your eyes can continue to heal, fluctuate, and fine tune for as much as a year after surgery. In my case, my left eye showed remarkable improvement between the 5th and 6th month post-op. My right eye, at 2 months post-op now, is obviously still healing and improving. Rather than feeling frustrated, I am actually amazed and grateful that the brain and eye can continue to improve for such a long period. I'm currently seeing Better than 20/20 Near in both eyes, and 20/20 Distance in the Left and 20/25 Distance in the Right.

It could be that relaxing about the process leads to the best possible result.:-)

Best wishes!

• Posted

Thank you! Your reply gave me a hope. It's just that I thought that monofocal lenses won't need such a long adaptation. I know that I shouldn't pay attention to every little thing. For example, today I felt like I have a film in my left eye (operated 2 mos ago) and instantly went in a state of panic (drove my hubby crazy LOL). It's just like I am constantly waiting for something bad to happen with my eyes.

But, if what you said about healing period is true for monofocal lenses, I will just relax and give my brain a chance to adapt to "new eyes".

Thanks again.

Adele

• Posted

You're welcome, Adele.:)

Yes, dry eyes can cause the clouded over effect. I use 2 different brands of artificial tears, both preservative free. I tend to use the Systane either at night or early morning, if needed. I find that solution to be a bit thick, leaving a sort of "film" for as much as an hour after use.

I use B& L Soothe for during the day, as needed. Some days I barely need them at all, other days a lot. Don't know why.

But I also take flax seed oil daily, which helps to eliminate the interior physical cause of dryness.

I have monofocal in my Left eye, Symfony in the Right, very happy with this combo. I had different surgeons for each eye. The Right eyelid was swollen for nearly 8 weeks, then suddenly subsided overnight. No idea why.:)

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! I am using Sustain Ultra. And, also, some days I don't need them at all and some days I use them 5-6 times a day.

It's fantastic that your eyelid is back to normal! It took a long time, though. Hope mine will be OK some day. I don't mind waiting for the miracle.

Thanks again.

Adele

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.