Cataract star burst

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. Vision cleared up, but star bursts appeared. I mentioned this to the Dr. , and 'give it time, it should clear up", was the reply. NOPE... it's gotten worse. THE QUESTION FOR READERS, with similar problem... my 'bursts' are always on the same plane. Right eye a 10 to 4 O'clock flair.. Left eye 1 to 7 O'clock flair. This causes a X star burst with headlights, streetlights, etc. with both eyes open. COULD THE CATARACT IMPLANTS BE SCRATCHED? If not, wouldn't the 'burst' rotate slightly and not be fixed? Can the implant be rotated to see if the 'flair' changes it's orientation?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

how long ago was your surgery? some visual disturbances will be resolved once all drops are stopped. if its been 3 months i would have a second opinion where your eyes are dilated to see if the lens is in the correct position also what type of lens did you receive?

• Posted

Hi - just wondering how long ago was your cataract surgery and what type of lenses you have. Also do you experience the flare/starbursts both day and night? If you opted for premium lenses these visual disturbances (at night) are more commonplace than standard monofocal lenses - however that statistic isn't zero. Some people have those visuals even with regular lenses. It would not be common for either type of lens during the day. That would indicate another issue (but not limited to) residual astigmatism or power not accurate.

If you can provide a bit more info we can weigh in a little more.

• Posted

Hi... thanks for the quick responses. Surgery was almost a year ago. The star bursts were visible immediately, but all the other cataract problems were cleared up. The lenses are mono-focal. I don't know if they were plastic, acrylic, glass... hi end, low end or middle of the road... sharp edged or rounded. I turned down the upgrade because I have been using reading glasses for years and don't have a problem continuing to do that. My cataracts were fast growing, in both eyes. I was noticeably loosing my vision weekly. I was afraid, and didn't ask enough questions. The bursts are only at night... headlights, streetlights and just about any light source where there is a direct path to my eyes. I have noticed a parking lot streetlight caused the burst, but not the light near it illuminating a billboard sign... the light wasn't directed toward me. My eyes are light sensitive now... the darkest UV, Polarized and everything "ized" sunglasses I could find, for going out in the sun. I have finished all medication, and have astigmatisum (sorry, spelling is a weakness of mine). Does anyone have any personal experience with using driving/sun glasses that helped reduce or eliminate the bursts? I love driving, but now driving at night is avoided.

• Posted

sorry the night time starbursts and glare are such that you avoid driving at night. As mentioned even with standard monofocal lenses patients can experience these. Maybe only comfort is knowing they could be much worse with premium lenses.

You mentioned having astigmatism. What might helped is getting a proper prescription from an optometrist for glasses vs using off the shelf readers. You can get correction for astigmatism in your glasses even if no corrective power is needed for them.

If it's been a year you may also want to have a full eye exam with your doctor yo ensure back capsule is clear. PCO mimics cataracts and would likely be another source if glare ad Julielyn pointed out. Take care - hope you can find some solutions.

There are blue tinted night driving glasses I have seen. You might see if those are any help.

• Posted

i wonder if you are developing a second cataract where cells begin to grow on the capsule that holds the lens in place in your eye if so, a simple procedure called YAG would most likely clear it up dilation of the eyes should be done( or a complete check up) prior to any further procedures I was about to have YAG done until i was dilated, it was only once dilated did we discover my lens was not positioned properly had YAG been done with dilation my visual disturbances would not have been rectified if your dr doesnt want to dilate before another procedure i would immediately find another cataract surgeon! from personal experience that is a HUGE red flag

good luck and keep us posted with any follow ups

• Posted

Hi sounds like classic need for YAG surgery to clear out back of you capsule from surgery residue. (PCO-Posterior capsule opacification)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.