Cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

After having both cataracts removed some months ago, I expected my vision would settle. My optician explained that my brain was trying to adjust and it may take some time. However although I can see well after surgery I have smaller pupils than before, also I have a strange sensation in my head because I have the sensation of something in the way of my prorifal  vision. It's very difficult to describe. It's a little like 'looking. Through binoculars' or a wide tunnel. I feel spaced out and weird in my head. It's worse indoors and on dull days. 

Any  suggestions  welcome, thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean, when did you last see your Ophthalmologist, the surgeon who did your op?  Did he test your peripheral vision?  You seem to be describing 'tunnel vision' and if it was me,  I would ask to see the Ophthalmologist.  Your optician [also known as an optometrist] can refer you.

How many months is it since you had your op?

• Posted

Hi Jean:  You stated that you saw well after surgery but your peripheral vision seems to have something blocking it from being clear.  Is your vision actually tunneled or is it simply a sensation?  If it is a sensation of tunneled vision but if you can actually see through the sides of your vision then it is the brain adjusting.  If you cannot see through the sides of your vision, I would see an opthalmologist, not the optician. 
    • Posted

Hi Vera, I saw my optician and was told all was well and my brain would adjust eventually. After 6mths I am struggling. I believe my peripheral vision is ok, however I appear to sometimes see slight blackness on the edge if my vision(like a tunnel) and I have this weird sensation in my head! I will go back to the hospital if it does not improve soon. Thanks for your response.
    • Posted

Hello Derek, I am not too sure, however the test was very thorough and detailed, I saw the back of my eyes in the pictures. I was asked to look far right, left, up and down and I could see to the side. My pupils are smaller than before surgery with one a little misshapen. I feel the need to hold my eyes wide open with fingers. When I do this, my vision improves and feels more comfortable.

Thanks for responding. J

• Posted

The field vision test is like a computer game. You look into a screen and press a button when you see a flash/star appear. As they cover a wide area it assess the areas outside your field of vision
    • Posted

I did have this test but can"t remember if it was before or after surgery as I saw a number of doctors between Dec and March doing different testss as I had a few after surgery problems especially after the first one. I can allways check this out and I intend to do so.

Thanks for your help.

• Posted

Hello Jean:  Do you have that "tunnel vision" with certain light sources, for example, when light is to your right or left.  Do you have this occur in both eyes?  

I had an examination by my opthalmologist/surgeon this morning and he explained that what I see (which seems to be the opposite of what you see) are lights when I move my eyes from side to side but never when I look straight ahead. That is happening because the edges of the implants are flat and the lights I see are probably the reflections of light on the lens itself.  Yours seems to be similar but the opposite in that your perception is darkness.  It's been one month for the left eye and 2 weeks for the right eye and it is slightly better.  I have been told that it should diminish completely, eventually!!!

If you can see through your peripheral vision.....it might be the implant that is causing the visual phenomenon. Remember Jean, the squeeky wheel gets the oil, complain and don't let go until you are given a satisfactory answer to your visual issue.

• Posted

Hi Jean

My sister had almost exactly same symptoms as you describe, but she is only now 6 months post-cataract surgery. 

Just wondering what happened to you after you posted this ie. in the last three years. Has your vision improved, or did you come any closer to finding out what the problem was and/or correcting it? 

Many thanks

Jan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.