Cataract surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, cataract surgery in my right eye is due on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's day 4 after surgery and I thought I'd post an update.

Vision is still good and much better for distance than for as long as I can remember, I wore a -6 contact today in my left eye to see if I like both eyes set for distance and immediately noticed my operated eye is even better than the left. I've also noticed a distinct brownish tint in my left eye suggesting it also has the beginnings of a cataract.

I went out walking the dog again after dark and can report the starburst effect has now gone, hopefully for good.

I forgot to mention at the start of this post that I've always been a high myope, -7.0 in my right eye and -6.5 in my left (spectacle prescription). The main reason the surgeon has suggested operating on my left eye after the right heals is he didn't think I would cope with wearing glasses after my first cataract removal - he was right, I tried removing the right lens from my spectacles (paid a fortune for these last September) but the double vision was horrendous, I tried to persevere for a few hours hoping my brain could compensate but gave up. It's ok with contacts but my eye itches terribly when wearing them.

I won't bore you guys with continual updates so I'll only post more if something significant happens, or if I'm asked a question.

To softwaredev, I'm a bit like you in that I have a science background and did a lot of research before making up my mind to have the surgery. I looked at the literature and had decided on accomodating  iol's, some of what's coming out in the future looks very promising but I couldn't really wait for the bionic lens. The chances of visual artefacts is reported as higher for the premium lenses but I weighed up the risks and was ready to go for it. However my consultant burst that bubble when he said I wouldn't benefit from a premium lens because of the retinal detachment surgery has left me with other visual artefacts in the right eye, wavy swirls and bendy straight lines! He said premium lenses work best in pairs and has suggested monovision as an alternative.

Good luck to everyone who's contemplating surgery.

• Posted

Great to hear glare and starbursts cleared up and you're doing well. Hopefully you'll be able to have the other eye done soon enough.

• Posted

Two week update:

It looks like I spoke too soon, my distance vision has deteriorated slightly over the past few days and is now worse that my left eye with a contact lens in.

I don't know why this has happened but looking on the bright side still better than I had before, I'm still looking forward to the other eye getting done in a few months time.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that James. Perhaps it'll clear up - might be eyes still adapting and settling. Perhaps your surgeon could have a look to see what's going on with vision.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I went to the clinic today and acuity has dropped from 20/15 a few days after surgery to 20/30 today, no explanation from the ophthalmologist why this has happened, except that 'these things happen '

20/30 is still a lot better than before 😊

• Posted

Still thinking you're eyes still healing & settling. I spoke to someone in my hometown who had cataract surgery last Dec (Symfony toric in both eyes). She said her eyes took 5 weeks to settle. Glad to hear nothing serious or a setback with your eyes. I still have a month and a half to my surgery. My near vision not bad but trying to read screens at fast food restaurants are difficult. Was away all weekend and notice in unfamiliar places how terrible my vision is.

• Posted

Another update:

I started getting a flickering light in the middle of my vision on the operated eye, so back to the clinic. It turns out I have a macular oedema (swelling) from the surgery, so I'm now taking Acular (NSAID) 3 times a day for the next fortnight and they'll check it again.

• Posted

Got some good news today when I went to the clinic for my check up. The macula inflammation has gone down and I've regained some visual acuity, I can read the 20/20 line and been told I am down to -0.25 diopter in the right eye and only slight astigmatism.

Let's hope this is now stable, thanks to all who took an interest in my surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.