Cataract Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here & tried to respond to another cataract surgery discussion on this forum but was unable to. I'm a 55 year old female who developed cataracts due to the steroids I've had to take for my asthma, & I had my first cataract surgery on my left eye last Wednesday, 6 days ago. I got fitted for a monofocal lens after reading that a monofocal lens was less likely to get the halo/starburst effect.

The first time I drove at night, about day 4, things were crystal clear, no glare, no halos, no starbursts. I was quite happy with it. Then, last night, while night driving, there were the starburst & I am devastated! I can't help but feel I've done something wrong, like bending over. I've tried not to bend over, but no have a few times because I forgot. I know no one can give me answers, but I'm just wondering is anyone has had this happen to them & then had the starburst go away. I haven't spoken to my Dr yet, but I'm a nervous wreck that this is going to be permanent. Just seeking to hear about others experiences.

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One can also see the starburst if the vision is not perfect.

Your vision in the eye is going to be changing a lot over the first couple of weeks and then a little less and less over the next few months. Any time the eye prescription changes, it may be for the better or for the worse. Thus, it is possible that in your case, there has been enough of a prescription change that now you are starting to see a starburst, while you initially did not.

If that is the only change which you have noticed in your vision, then it is not a reason for alarm. You can bring it up at your next appointment with the surgeon (it is usually a month after the surgery). He will also be checking your vision at that time and give you a glasses prescription, if needed.

If that does come out to be the reason for the starburst, you may choose to wear glasses for night driving or explore some other means (such as LASIK) for correcting the vision.

• Posted

I also had cataract surgery with a monofocal implant 6 days ago. Initially I had a single starburst line going from 8 to 2 but that disappeared at about day 4. I noticed tonight that although the long starburst line has gone if I look at a bright light source directly I can still see a smaller full starburst effect but not really too noticeable unless I really look for it.

Another thing I've noticed is that my distance vision has gotten very slightly worse and is now on a par with my contact lens best corrected vision, still good though.

my consultant told me it takes about 4 weeks for the vision to stabilise. It is also possible that your brain is still getting used to the new vision and will eventually filter out the unwanted visual artefacts.

Best of luck and I hope both our eyes turn out well

• Posted

Hello.  I had my surgery (monofocal) in March of 2016, at the age of 55.  My cataracts began to develop early for me because I was extraordinarily farsighted, which I learned is quite normal.  Plus, because of the extreme farsightedness, I was at risk for Narrow Angle Glaucoma (cataract surgery reduces that risk).  I too had crystal clear vision in the weeks immediately following surgery.  Then, several weeks later, I would get a bursts of either floaters or flashing light.  Also, as time when on, my crystal clear vision diminished somewhat, but I still don't require glasses.   It was quite scary but it turned out to be normal.  I've had several follow up check ups since then and according to the eye doctor, my eyes look great.  My advice is to stay on top of any changes and see your doctor if something seems out of whack.  You can't be too careful with your eyes.  By the way, strange happenings have subsided mostly.  I did develop a mild case of dry eye, but it's manageable.  

• Posted

also possible you developed posterior capsule opacification (PCO), which is fairly common after cataract surgery. Can happen anytime withing days or even years afterwards. if it is PCO, then fix is a simple in-office procedure with a YAG laser:

https://www.google.com/search?q=posterior+capsular+opacifcation

If not PCO, these kinds of aberrations usually diminish within weeks or months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.