Cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has any one had cataract surgery with one eye corrected for long distance and the other for reading?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had my left eye corrected for reading with a monofocal lens many years back and the right eye corrected for distance with Symfony lens in December 2016. Have been used to monovision for the last 30 years. So, that was never an issue. The day time vision with this combination is good at near, intermediate, as well as far distance. Do have the night vision issue of the concentric circles with the Symfony lens.
  • Posted

My plan is to get mini-monovision for my cataract eye surgery.

First (dominant) eye target for good distance vision (about -0.25D) and later the other eye target for good intermediate distance vision (-1.0D to -1.25D)

For very close and fine print would probably need -2D or more, but that might be difficult to have that much difference between the two eyes, so for me I feel safer not going that extreme, plus intermediate vision is more important to me than close up reading.

Its easier to try to cover two of the three focus ranges, like distance+intermediate, or intermediate+near, and then plan for eyeglasses use only for one of the three.  Each individual can choose based on their own unique priorities, which two of the three focus ranges they use most.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback, Night-Hawk.

I had my right eye fitted for distance yesterday.

When I saw my surgeon today, he suggested placing a contact lense for reading in my left eye for a few days/weeks, to give me a chance to experience  long distance in one eye and reading distance in the other.

I will try this and see how it feels before making a decision for the next cataract surgery.

• Posted

My original sight is -850 left eye (near sighted) +175 (far sighted) and -700 right dominant eye +175.  I have a multifocal implanted in the left eye, now just over 8 weeks.  The doctor set it for close vision (12-16 inches) which is excellent.  The intermediate and distant vision is pretty  good.  The right has not been operated.  He intends to set that for distance with the close vision hopefully will be okay.  The brain will adjust to the different focal points.  It takes about 12 weeks.  Currently I rely on the left eye for clear vision since the right is blurry.  The monovision works well for me.  No daily issues (I don't drive) except at night I use glasses outside.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback, Eye-Kan-Sea.

When I saw my surgeon today, he suggested placing a contact lense for reading in my left eye for a few days/weeks, to give me a chance to experience  long distance in one eye and reading distance in the other.

I will try this and see how it feels before making a decision for the next cataract surgery.

• Posted

I had my right eye done Aug 10th to see far, it was great except I couldn't see close up. On Aug 24th I had the left eye done. Five minutes before surgery the Dr said I could have the left eye done to see close up, mono vision, I said ok, I had know idea what I was in for. Big mistake, can't see close up at all and my distance is worse than ever. I walk into things, can't walk in the dark or low light because I can't see. On cloudy days I struggle. I wish I would have known this before, I would have stuck with having both eyes to see far as planned. Having vertigo doesn't help the situation.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback, bobbi55024.

• Posted

I have used monovision with one eye for distance and the other one for reading for the last 30 years. However, in spite of that, my suggestion will be for you to start with a smaller difference (say, about 1.25 D) between the 2 eyes when you try a contact lens in the left eye. Thus, if you have plano in the right eye, have a contact lens so that you achieve the net power of +1.25D for a good intermediate distance vision in the left eye. (the exact power will depend on the current prescription for the left eye). This will make the adjustment to monovision a little easier than if you started with having the left eye contact lens set for reading right away.

If that works out for you, then you can try having a contact lens set for near. You will then find that you will have good distance and good near vision, but will not have good intermediate vision. That is something one can learn to work around, but you may want to get to that point in 2 or 3 steps in stead of doing that right away.

• Posted

I wish my surgeon had offered me the option to try a contact first. Everyone I've spoken to since my surgery all of them were given a contact to wear before deciding if mono vision would be a good choice. Of all the people that first tried a contact for mono vision half decided against it. I wish I was given the option. Besides the cataracts I also have glaucoma in both eyes which seems worse now.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.