Cataract Surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Experienced considerable anxiety prior to surgery however the surgeon's team were very friendly and went out of their way putting me at ease. 

I decided to go with the custom multi focal lens. I had the surgery done on Tuesday, 18, 2018, I was under the impression I would be awake during the procedure, however, found they put me under and toward the later part of the procedure I woke and then it became the best of 3 rounds however, as soon as the Dr. spoke I realize where I was and remainder of the surgery went well.

I went for a follow-up the following day and apparently the Dr. is pleased with the results. I am not experiencing any side effect however the sight in the eye with the replacement lens is a bit clouding but the Dr. indicated it is to be expected and over time my vision will improve. Next visit is in a couple weeks, waiting for outcome before deciding whether to have the other eye done.

Appreciate member's comments and suggestions prior to surgery; I thank you!!

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

During my cataract surgery on my right eye they put in an IV with supposedly only something weak to let you relax, but I must have fell asleep shortly after the surgeon started, woke up when he was saying "we're all done"

So I felt no pain or anything during or after.

• Posted

I find it interesting that some surgeons use an IV.  In my part of Canada they only use IV on a patient that has disabilities or conditions like Alzheimers (patients that would not be able to keep still).  Generally I was told it’s preferred you are awake to follow instructions.  At one point during surgery I was told to very still and focus on 3 round red lights.  
  • Posted

I was given a valium prior to surgery. They did give me an IV also. I don't know if they administered anything by the IV, and will ask at my next appointment. I was awake the whole time of the surgery, but very relaxed. The only thing I saw was a wash of different colors, mainly oranges and reds, until the time when everything was black and I was instructed to look straight at the red light. I was told the red light was straight ahead but it wasn't, it was in the upper part of my vision, heard the Doc say "that's not right" he did an adjustment and then instructed me to look again, and the light was centered in my vision. I had ORA and I think that is what the red light was.

Which multifocal lens did you get?

• Posted

I saw 3 red lights forming a triangle- but I know hospital I was at did not have ORA equipment.
  • Posted

Interesting, intend discussing with Dr. next during follow up in 10 days. When I woke I saw the same wash of different colors can only recall the Dr. stating he was about done then nothing after that. So far, I do not have any complaints but I am waiting, still less that a week, blurred vision to be expected, but mostly concerned whether there's any improvement in my vision. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.