Cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just had cataract surgery, during it the surgeon said the lens was very dense for someone my age, what does that mean

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

my first cataract at the age of 69 was a dense brunescent cataract and I had been completely blind in that eye for about three months. The surgeon explained that due to the density, it made surgery more difficult requiring more attention by the surgeon, also the operation carried more risk than a normal cataract. Mine was a success and I have 100% sight in that eye now. I then had the other eye done and now do not need to wear glasses as I did before.

I hope yours is also a great successx

• Posted

Sounds like the cataract was very ripe. You mustn't have had very good vision from it. Also by the comment you ate young to have had an advanced cataract. Hope the surgery went well and you have better vision now.

• Posted

I'm 69 1/2 and my left eye cataract was fairly bad, but I had the laser assisted cataract surgery done before it really got any worse. Had a cataract in right eye as well, but not as bad as the left eye. Had the surgeries in Oct of last year, three weeks apart. Wife and I are truly amazed at my vision now........20/20 in both eyes. The days of wearing prescription glasses for driving, tv and computer use are gone! Do have to wear Reading Glasses for my iPhone and to read small print, but other than that..........nothing.

We are both very, very happy I got the surgeries, but do have, at times, Negative Dysphotopsia, which is black vertical line that can show up on the temple side of each eye, depending on how light is around me. OD's and surgeons are still trying to figure out how to cure this, but have had very little luck........other than time. I was told that within time the bars (vertical line) will go away.

• Posted

did your negative dysphotopsia resolve?

• Posted

Hi Linda1979.I think what your surgeon is referring to is the density of the crystaline lens he/she removed from your eye(s). As we age the natural lens becomes less flexible, and very advanced cataracts are often referred to as "dense". If that's the case then it should have no bearing on the outcome of your surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.