Cataract surgery and blood thinners

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on 15 mg of Rivaroxaban, probably for life after a saddle pulmonary embolism last year. I have also been on high steroids for GCA but these are reducing and I take 6 mg at the moment . My eyes have deteriorated over about a year and I am now at the stage in my right eye where I struggle to read etc. My other eye has very poor sight from childhood but does not seem to be affected by cataract. It is important for me to be able to see enough to get on with my life and I feel overwhelmed at the moment.

I feel I need cataract surgery but wonder if anyone else has had this whilst taking blood thinners? 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor knows your medical health and would be better to ask that question. My eye surgeon did not ask me to stop any of my meds . Everyone is different so be sure to check with your doctor. Hope you receive cataract surgery soon , in time you will see so much better. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. My sight deteriorated rapidly over 24 hours, though I had been complaining of a slight fuzziness for some time, and the optician arranged for mr to go to A&E two days ago. They diagnosed a cataract affecting central vision. I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist on the 26th. I am finding the deterioration in sight difficult so I hope it can be improved soon.

• Posted

Your medical doctor should be able to answer that.  My best guess is yes as a lot of cataract patients are seniors and likelihood is high some of them would be on blood thinners.

I am betting the steroid medication advanced your cataracts.  I suffer from atopic eczema and have been on that type of medication.  It was one of the things my cataract surgeon pointed out to me at my consultation.   I am young for cataracts but was informed that type of led could advance cataracts more rapidly.

• Posted

I think you are right about the steroids. They are good at keeping inflamation under control but they have so many side effects. They gave me steroid induced diabetes and I wouldn’t be surprised if I had a steroid escalated cataract. 
  • Posted

While it is best to double-check with your surgeon, since there is nothing which bleeds during a cataract surgery, one's taking a blood thinner should not make any difference.

My wife was on a blood thinner when she had the cataract surgeries couple of years back and did not have to discontinue it.

The only restriction is that they may want you to take your prescribed medicines with only a small sip of water (if the regular time for taking those is close to the surgery time) since they normally don't want you to drink or eat for 6 hours before the surgery..

• Posted

Are surgeries performed differently depending where you live.  I was told to eat or drink whatever I wanted for breakfast.  But no sedation involved in my surgeries.  Just numbing drops (actually more like a small glass of numbing liquid) in my eyes.
    • Posted

I think that My wife preferred to be on sedation. So, her doctor had asked her not to eat anything for 6 hours before the cataract surgery. I did not plan to have any sedation. So, I did not have any such restriction.
    • Posted

That would have been my preference too but they don’t offer it.  Must be the Canadian system - lol.  When it’s paid by Medicare only bate essentials.
    • Posted

That is such good news. I was afraid that if they stopped the blood thinner I may get another blood clot. I didn’t realise there would be no bleeding. It is so new to me that I haven’t looked into what the operation involves yet but I will do today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.