Cataract surgery and exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband had his cataract removed in his lt eye. Everything is going well and it will 4 weeks next Monday. He still has not got his post op appointment  which was supposed to be at 2 to 3 weeks. When I phoned they still do not know when he will be seen. He wants to know whether he can resume his jogging. Have told him to wait after appointment but it is not likely to be soon. Anybody know whether he can start jogging also is it safe if he gets water in his eye. He is still having the maxidex drops for another week 4 times a day. Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You didn't specifically say it, but if it's been more than 2 weeks, I'm not a doctor, but I'd say it's safe to jog. Probably OK  too if he got a little water in his eye when showering. Bad deal that he didn't have a follow-up appointment right way, but if he's seeing OK and has no other problems, guess it turned out all right.

• Posted

Usually, taking a shower is discouraged for the first one week after surgery (mainly to avoid rubbing the eye), "no swimming" is suggested for about 3 weeks, and "strenuous exercise"  or "impact sports" should be avoided until the doctor makes sure that the incision has healed properly. Slow jogging is probably okay, but walking at a fast pace (or on hills) may be safer at this stage.

• Posted

It will be 4 weeks next Monday then the drop will be stopped. Still no appointment yet. I guess jogging should be ok but want to make sure . I would like him to wait until post appointment but not sure when will that be. Everything went well, not wearing glasses and could drive 4 days post op. He is a bit disappointed as his wear vision is not so good. Told him he cannot have it both ways. Been eating glasses for over 50 yrs. 
  • Posted

No tap water or simular in the eye for at least 1 week after the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.