Cataract Surgery experience, outcome & questions regarding Alcon Acrosof IQ

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I've been lurking on this forum for months now since quite surprisingly being diagnosed with cortical cataracts at 60.

Firstly I am SO very grateful for all the advice here from members - I've taken considerable time painstakingly deliberating over 'every' detail in order to be the very best informed for my surgery which was last Thursday; concluding this forum more roundedly provided the right balance of info. Nothing like direct experience!

As I received my treatment on the NHS (at a private hospital) I was informed I would receive the "Alcon" monofocal lens; my consultant automatically assumed I would want to retain my near vision (I'm -2.25 left eye, -2.75 right) but as its only crystal clear up to about 18 inches (I strain to read my pc clearly), I decided to go for distance vision and reading glasses for everything else. I travel a lot for my photography & really wanted to see the landscape and the models I shoot for projects without glasses for the first time in over 30 years!

I found the surgery incredibly quick but not without the odd moment of pain - this seemed to be whenever the surgeon put pressure on my eye & can be best described as a sort of dull pain, like pressing down on a bruise. Seeing the lens unfurl was quite psychedelic - that was the bit I had been highly anticipating.

Once it was done I was a bit alarmed when the surgeon somewhat roughly wiped my eye with a sterile cloth, placing undue pressure on my eyeball to the extent where the white outline of the entire lens made it itself known momentarily and I felt a sudden twinge of pain. I wasn't sure he realised he had pressed on my eye quite so vigorously and really wish I had remarked on it at the time but I was in a post surgery daze. I have an opportunity to do just that at my second surgery & believe me, I will.

My left eye now has the most amazingly clear vision up to about 3 feet. I can watch tv without any blur at all and read labels on items at the local supermarket if the text is large enough. Colours are so much cooler & I've noticed my portrait edits have cooler, more life-like tones on the skin. I don't notice a massive change in blues to be honest, just an overall subtle coolness to everything where there was a warm tint before. Clouds are now white! It's amazing.

I am experiencing some peripheral flickering and the imbalance between both my eyes is more pronounced when reading than when focusing intermediate or distance, so not sure how I'm going to deal with that until the next surgery. In addition I have noticed the Blade Runner "cats eye" effect, or flicker, in my pupil which although purely cosmetic is a bit disconcerting.

So apart from relating my experience , I have two questions:

Firstly, I have a small astigmatism in my left eye of -0.50 cylinder, 120 axis so unsure how that will impact on my vision overall when I receive the second lens? Will I still need corrective glasses for distance?

Also, for those of you who've had the Alcon Acrosof IQ lens for a couple of years, is your vision still as good as day 1? I've worked myself up a bit since reading about "glistenings" - I think I've read every peer reviewed article there is and cannot decide what to believe. As an AML survivor, I'm use to researching medical articles (I find it fascinating for one thing) but cannot decide if this is something to worry about or not. It's probably pointless now.....

Am I being paranoid about a perfectly good lens?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Yes you are. 😃 I've had Acrysof IQ lenses in both eyes for nearly 4 years and have never noticed any glistenings. I do have mild PCO in one eye but only know this because my ophthalmologist told me; it doesn't affect my vision at all. Enjoy your 'new' eyes!

(I'm sorry you had any pain; in the US it seems to be more common to have IV sedation, so that you're somewhat awake but feel nothing, although many people do have the surgery with just numbing drops.)

• Posted

Thanks for your response! 😃

I do tend to overanalyse everything in life especially when it comes to my health.

I was diagnosed with mild hearing loss in my right ear last year (an ear which has the worst tinnitus in the world) and so the discovery, months later, I had cataracts as well was like a double whammy!

Did you find the peripheral flickering settled eventually? Just seems to be when I look down or sideways. I am assuming this is the IOL settling in.

In terms of sedation I was given a tablet to take the edge off my anxiety; would by far have preferred to have been out of it entirely as eye surgery was ALWAYS my biggest fear but in the UK it seems to be a case of grin and bear it.

I just wasn't expecting any pain at all so that was little disconcerting.

Did you get the desired outcome from your surgery? I'm watching tv right now and with my right eye closed, my left is tack sharp. It's bearable with both but my eyes get tired quickly due to the imbalance.

• Edited

Did you get the desired outcome from your surgery?

I did. I have -2 lenses in both eyes, although one wound up at -2.5. I've been highly myopic most of my life and wanted to retain my close vision. I'm exceedingly happy with the outcome.

As for flickering, I never had any. I did have negative dysphotopsia in my right eye for about 2 months, occasionally seeing a dark crescent in my peripheral vision, but it wasn't a big deal and went away.

• Posted

That's great you got the desired outcome!

I went back and forth over distance versus near quite a bit. I was trying to evaluate how it would impact my interests, like photography or my artwork for example and decided I wanted to at least be free of glasses for those glorious hikes in Snowdonia or to see the night sky. The latter means so much to me as I often indulge in astrophotography.

I really won't know how I will feel however until I have my other eye done as right now I'm using my iPhone unaided, so best of both worlds.

• Posted

hi bookwoman. what is the relationship between iol prescription and glasses or contacts prescription (assuming you used one or the other)? in other words, was your glasses or contacts also a -2? (Im aware contact and glasses prescriptions r different). thx!

• Posted

Before surgery I wore high-index glasses with a prescription of -8 in both eyes. (I did wear contacts for 40 years, but stopped 7 years before my cataract surgery, so I don't remember the prescription.) One more advantage of surgery: much less expensive glasses!

My current progressive glasses prescription is the same as the outcome of my IOLs (-2 and -2.5).

• Posted

so since progressive glasses cover most focal points and a wide range, in what range are you glasses free? and im assuming your iol lenses are single vision, correct?

• Edited

Correct. I'm glasses-free for everything indoors except watching TV. I mainly wear glasses when I leave the house.

• Edited

Hi Bookwoman,

When you say, I'm glasses-free for everything indoors except watching TV, how would you describe seeing indoors?

• Edited

Slightly blurry, but it's not like I'm bumping into walls or anything. Everything is clear enough.

• Edited

I have an AcrySof IQ monofocal in my first eye which is my right eye. This eye is set for distance and I do have a bit of astigmatism (-0.75 D) in this eye, but I still see 20/20 for distance without glasses. I am coming up to about 2.5 years with this eye done. I have seen zero indication of glistenings, and to date I have not had any PCO in this eye. My second eye was done with a Clareon monofocal which is very similar to the AcrySof IQ but is made from an improved material that is more resistant to glistenings. This lens has some features which are supposed to make it more resistant to PCO, but ironically my optometrist is telling me I have some signs of PCO, which I don't see, in this lens which has been implanted just over a year now... Just bad luck I guess. And of course no indications of glistenings. This eye is now at about -1.6 D and allows me to read down to 8-10 inches or so. Between the two eyes I am essentially eyeglasses free and like it a lot.

If you are interested in trying this you could get a contact for your right eye that is -1.25 D which will leave you at -1.50 D myopic to simulate the same thing (mini-monovision). This will reduce the imbalance between the two eyes and you may like the glasses free outcome.

• Posted

Hi Ron,

I could try a contact lens but conscious I've never used them, so unsure how easily I would adapt!

Mini monovision was an option discussed at my first appointment so it would make sense to try it out with a trial run.

That is bad luck with the PCO - so many variables with outcomes I suppose I just have to be philosophical about the whole thing and not fret so much.

• Posted

If you get a cooperative and patient contact lens fitter they should be helpful in getting you into a contact for your right eye. I have found some contacts are much easier to handle than others. The top three contacts I have found for comfort and ease of handling are:

1. CooperVision MyDay
      2. Alcon Total1
      3. Acuvue Oasys 1 Day

The very worst ones to handle that I have used are Acuvue Moist. Avoid them like the plague... They are like trying to put a round piece of cling film food wrap on your eye. They don't want to stick to your eye, but love to fold back and stick to your finger.

Keep in mind that you will not need contacts after your second eye surgery. This is just a short term trial to see if you like it or not.

Right now with your right eye at -2.75 D you have full monovision. That used to be popular, but as you have noticed your vision starts to drop off at 18" or so, while your other distance eye does not start to be good until 3 feet. That leaves a pretty significant gap with not so good vision. That is why full monovision is not used very often and the preference is mini-monovision. At -1.6 D my close eye actually gives me pretty good vision on a large screen 4K TV at 8 feet or so. It is not quite as crisp as my distance eye at that distance but it is pretty good. I have no gap between the two eyes. For some reason I have been fortunate with close vision in my distance eye. I can see down to about 18-20" and if I sit far enough back I can read my 24" computer monitor. Your 3 feet is more typical for a distance eye though. I think I am getting some of that near vision from the astigmatism in my distance eye.

• Posted

Thanks Ron, very useful! Ive had the worst day today with my vision and have had to take the rest of the week off work for that reason and extreme fatigue.

Every time I think my eyes are working together a bit better, the blurriness returns with a vengeance.

I am going to try and see an optometrist this week to evaluate my options whilst I wait for my follow up call from the hospital and, hopefully, second appointment.

I'll relate what you've suggested and see if I can be fitted with contacts at those values.

• Posted

It will be difficult to deal with a 2.75 D between the eyes. One option that some use is to just remove the lens from a pair of prescription glasses for the operated eye. That can help, but using a contact lens to correct the unoperated eye can be even better. I started out by using the one lens removed method, but changed to using a contact instead. I get my prescriptions lenses at Costco and they were very cooperative in removing the lens in a pair of glasses, and also in giving me some free trial contacts to simulate the mini-monovivion.

• Posted

ron, can you explain a kittle how astigmatism improves near vision? thx

• Posted

I look at the eye like a pie cut to four pieces. When you have no astigmatism all the pieces bring the light to the same focus point and all you need is a spherical correction. Regular astigmatism is when two opposite segments bring the light to the same focus point but not to the same one as the other two segments. That is why a prescription with astigmatism will have the basic sphere correction and then an additional correction with an angle associated with it.

But to your question, the extension in the depth of focus which can improve near vision comes from having the two segments stretching the depth of focus. There is a price in visual acuity, but it can extend the depth of focus somewhat like an EDOF lens does.

• Posted

Just thought I would provide an update here on my experience so far.

In terms of visual side effects I still have the annoying peripheral flickering but it seems be lessening. I've read this is common and 'should' hopefully dissipate.

Less expected is the retention of star bursts when looking at artificial lights - not really dissimilar to my right (cataract) eye but sharper in definition with a long horizontal shard of light emanating from the source. It remains to be seen how this will impact night driving in the long term as I've yet to undertake any driving which wasn't during daylight hours and very local, given my imbalanced vision! Looking at the moon the other night with my good 'new' eye, I was a bit disappointed at how blurred it looked. Perhaps I am expecting too much, too soon from just one eye!

I hope the starburst issue will disappear eventually as the lens settles in, however, as I have mild astigmatism in my left eye, I'm thinking it might well be a permanent feature.

Finally, I have developed a very slight blurriness now when watching tv - it was incredibly crisp with no blurry edged text to begin with but I've since noticed a minor decline. Thinking it might be related to the fact my eye has been very irritated lately by the eye drops. This morning it was almost impossible to work as it felt scratchy and sore (seems ok now).

I have my next surgery booked for 13th July and to be honest cannot wait to be a month or two out from that date with no eye drops and decent vision. I would rather not wear glances for distance at all but whatever prescription I end up with I'm just thankful I can see an end date to all the anxiety and stress I've had over this since being diagnosed!

• Posted

Hi Ron, Did you like the mini-monovision right away or did it take a little while to get used to it?

• Edited

The honest answer is probably that I don't really remember! I first tried monovision with contacts perhaps 10-15 years ago when I was trying to go eyeglasses free while suffering from presbyopia. About all I recall is that I was having trouble with the handling of contacts at that time and got frustrated with them. But, when I got the contacts in, I don't recall any issues with vision. So, I think went several years just using progressive glasses as I have used since I was 45 or so. When I got diagnosed with cataracts and the possibility of using mini-monovision was raised, I went back to the contact simulation. This time I put more effort into finding good contacts that were easy to handle, and it went pretty well. I don't recall any adaptation period to monovision.

I noticed in another post to a "Bill" that you were asking about a number of potential issues with mini-monovision - " the noise, ghost images, fuzz, grit, and distortions".

Actually none of those issues should be created by mini-monovision. The actual potential issues are a small loss in depth perception but only in the very near zone where your eye corrected for distance is not providing a real clear image. If fine motor skills are required at a very short distance then all you have to do is pop on some OTC readers, or your progressive glasses. But that said I have actually been able to thread a needle without readers or progressives. It just means you may need an extra try or two to hit the eye of the needle.

For me at distances from 2 feet or so out to 8 feet I have very good binocular vision and depth perception because both eyes are very useable in that range. And, beyond 8 feet depth perception is not really a requirement. I park in a very tight garage and have to come very close to the door frame with the passenger side of my truck. So far, I have not hit the door frame with the side mirror, which I have to fold in because the space is so tight.

I have seen "exercises" to do to adapt to monovision, but frankly I am skeptical of the need for them. They seem to be intended to make the eye that is somewhat out of focus work better. I think the opposite is what is required. You need the brain to pick the better of the two eyes and ignore the less sharp image. I find that happens without me thinking about it.

The other symptom I have seen reported but not experienced myself is a feeling of dizzyness or unbalance. I suspect that is probably like getting a new pair of glasses where the prescription has changed substantially. It feels a bit odd for a few days and goes away. But, as I have said, I did not experience anything like that.

Your temporary eyeglass solution will be a good test, but not ideal as having one eye corrected with an IOL and the other corrected with an eyeglass lens can present an image to the brain that is not the same size. That can be a little annoying with a bit of a dizzy feeling, but that effect goes away when both eyes get corrected with an IOL.

• Edited

To add another anecdote for you...

I had zero trouble with monovision from Day 1. I remember it well, because I am a perfectionist, and at the time I was very concerned that imperfect vision in one eye would bother me. But it was totally fine.

I was relatively young at the time (LASIK, not cataracts), and perhaps that makes a difference. I got about the same -1.5 D monovision that RonAKA recommends, and I am considering something similar now for my cataracts.

• Posted

Thanks so much for responding to all those questions!

• Edited

Thanks Phil. I think I would have been less frightened by eye surgery back in the day. I remember being terrified when I was told about needing cataract surgery shortly before COVID. I've been consumed with not making a mistake in terms of the surgeon, lens choice, everything really! I'll be interested to hear what you decide for your cataract surgery.

• Edited

" I think I would have been less frightened by eye surgery back in the day."

Maybe, maybe not. I remember that I got physically ill when they explained in detail how they actually do the LASIK procedure. I had to sit in the ophthalmologist's office for five minutes with my head between my knees before I could drive home.

😃

These are big decisions. I hope it all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.