Cataract surgery for narrow angle glaucoma?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My eye doctor wants me to get cataract surgery for my narrow angle glaucoma. I've been fighting the idea for 2 years so far. I had a laser iridotomy in both eyes 2 years ago. Wasn't successful, so she says. Just had it again in one eye so far 3 weeks ago. Have to go back for checkup and to see if worked on the one eye. I use Latanprost every night. My pressure is under control so far. But she says, it's to prevent an acute attack. I think she's a good doctor. But I'm really nervous. If it isn't successful on the first eye don't even know if will get on 2nd eye. Hopefully it's successful and will buy me time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with narrow angle-glaucoma last August and my doctor advised me to have the cataract surgery and I did in October. That was the best decision ever... I had it in Istanbul, Turkey and they have the latest procedures which was where you do not need to use all the eye drops normally use after the surgery.  With one surgery, three issues solved. No more glaucoma, no more cataract and no eye glasses smile I would recommend it and good luck with whatever you decide to do. Glaucoma is no joke!
  • Posted

It appears we share the same symptoms.  However, I am unaware of the relationship between glaucoma and cataracts. Does one naturally follow the other?
  • Posted

I had sudden onset narrow acute angle closure Glaucoma in 2015. This is very rare. Within 36 hours I went blind in my right eye but had emergency laser eye surgery which saved my sight other than a slight peripheral loss in my right eye (the eye it started in) and this allowed drainage to bring the pressure down. My IOP was 58! Believe me Arlene you do not want to ever suffer an acute attack and it is best to listen to your eye doctor. I too have cataracts and can't wait until the surgeon says I can have cataract surgery which presently are described as 'medium' and I have to wait until they become 'ripe'. I do not know if there is a connection between the two.I do not have to use any eye drops now as the pressure in both eyes at the last check was 18 in each. I hope that the latest surgery is successful and then you can have the cataract surgery. I'm sure you will benefit greatly from it. 

• Posted

Are the cataracts affecting your vision?   My eye doctor said not to do the surgery unless they were affecting my vision.  Have the cataracts gotten worse since you started taking latanoprost?  Have you asked your doctor about Micropulse Laser Trabeculoplasty?  Has the angle always been narrow or is it becoming narrower?  I have not heard of a reason to perform cataract surgery because of the risk of "an acute attack," especially since you say your pressure is under control with the latanoprost.  Are you thinking about getting a second opinion?

• Posted

Hi, I’ve had cataract (or clear lens extraction which is cataract surgery where there is no cataract for glaucoma) surgery in one eye. It’s reduced my need from 4 different drops a day to 3 in one eye. I also have narrow angle glaucoma. I was one of the 1-2% that develop a complication and now one year later it’s still unresolved although not affecting me. It’s a tough decision. I guess depends in age, degree of vision loss, state if optic nerve and the state of the second eye. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.