Cataract surgery, out of pocket costs and medicaid

Posted , 4 users are following.

so im too young for medicare to pay for surgery , im willing to pay out of pocket but the best surgeons in the chicago area charge a prohibitively high cost out of my range. has anybody gotten it done thru medicaid? has anybody paid out of pocket in the us and can give a ballpark figure of what it cost (because big cities are pricier) and if enough savings, i am totally willing to travel and dont want to wait years when my quality of life is already being affected.

thank you

dan

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Googling around, this article looks to be the best on how much it might cost and how to get financial aid

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cataract-surgery-cost#average-cost-range

Good luck

• Posted

thx jim. amazing how costly a safe and quick surgery is, particularly for those under age and uninsured

• Posted

and to be clear, i have a budget to work with . im just not at the point i can pay what the best surgeons in an expensive big city charge. but not a good idea to go cheap on your precious eyes.

• Edited

You may want to check around to see what surgeons do Medicaid cataract surgery. They may be your best bet for a quality but reasonably priced operation.

• Posted

I got a Yellow Pages link from this Google search: Eye Doctors Who Accept Medicaid in Chicago, IL

I had posted that link by itself, but that did not pass.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.