Cataract Surgery post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 4 days ago. At my post op visit later that day I had 20/20 vision which I’ve never had. The scheduled me the Same day because their office was closed on the Friday which was the following day. Since that day my distance vision is very blurry. I was just in a Walmart store and wanted to scream for how blurry my distance vision was. It Also feels as though there is a particle or a grain of sand in my eye. My one week follow up is in four days. I plan on discussing these issues with my ophthalmologist. But I also have a phone call into them to get some of these questions answered. Was wondering if any of you have ever experienced the same issues recently after cataract surgery. I know that I am not seeing 2020 out of this eye. Prior to cataract surgery I did not wear glasses to drive but now I do not feel comfortable driving. I’m considering canceling the cataract surgery for my left eye which is scheduled in two weeks. I’d appreciate any input any of you might have

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The vision often varies quite a bit for the first month or so after surgery, it did for me. Some days it got very blurry and other days got sharp and focussed.  But didn't really stay more stable until after 4-6 weeks, so hang in there.

I would wait for the surgery for the second eye until the first eye is fully stable though.

Dry eye symptoms like the feeling of sand in the eye is common after surgery too - get some lubricating eye drops to help with that.

• Posted

Thank you so so much for taking the time to answer. I am freaking out. I forgot to mention my intermediate vision is great. It’s my distance that is blurry. I hope with time I see improvement. Also I had Lasik surgery over 20 years ago so I’m wondering if because of that they couldn’t perfect my distance vision. 
    • Posted

Regarding the dry eye and sandy feeling, my ophthalmologist has prescribed some eye drops called "CaterActive3," which I'm to use starting three days before surgery and continue for two weeks after -- this applies to both eyes, separately, of course.  It's a combination of the three forms of drops that are usually used and is also much cheaper ($55 per bottle).  It's available from only one pharmacy/pharmaceutical lab in the country located in Chattanooga.  Anyway, my surgeon, considered among the top two in Minnesota, says it has virtually eliminated this complaint from the many, many patients he has prescribed it for. 

• Posted

Hi Diane,

I had my first eye done 3 weeks ago and 2nd eye last Tuesday, before I had them done, I wore glasses for the last 30 years, now I’m not wearing them, and my short vision is really good, but my longer vision isn’t that good, and as I drive for a living that worries me, I’ve been advised I will probably need glasses for driving, which I hoped I wouldn’t, unless in the next 5 weeks my eyes settle down well and the long vision clears, It’s a worry straight after our ops, as I guess we all want it 100% perfect and it either won’t be or it will be given time, for me at the moment after the 2nd op, I’ve had a terrible aching around my eye, side of my face, jaw etc, I went to my local eye casualty earlier and was told I have very bad inflammation, feels like I’ve been kicked by a horse, hope your blurring settles down and all’s good for you, Neil

• Posted

I had Lasik over 20 years ago and haven’t worn glasses since. This is why I’m discouraged. I’ve gone so long without glasses and I prefer not to wear them. My cataracts got worse but I was able to drive during the day. Now I don’t even feel comfortable driving at all.
    • Posted

Hi Zarim, are you feeling any better? How is your vision? 
  • Posted

Hi Diane - that feeling of sand or grit in the eye is usually a sign of dry eye.  Could also be the tiny incision they make if you had traditional surgery (vs laser assisted although perhaps with that surgery too you get that feeling I don’t know).

You use over the counter drops like Tefresh or Systane.  If one brand doesn’t work well try another.  I found Systane worked for me better than Refresh but everyone is different.

You should have also been given a steroid and antibiotic drops which you'll take for about 4 weeks.    Sometimes use of those drops cause blurry vision for some and their eyes clear after.  

Some people see clearly within a day while others take a few weeks.  It really varies from one person to the next and even between 2 eyes same person.  Be patient - it usually all works out.

Do you know which type of lens you received?

• Posted

I was told I received a standard lens as we were aiming to receive the best possible distance vision. I had Lasik over 20 years ago and I provided them with my pre lasik numbers. I thought that would give me the perfect end result so I’m not sure if the power of lens they put in is causing the refractive error. My intermediate distance right now is the most clear. I sure hope the distance gets better because I was hoping to not have to wear glasses after going without since my Lasik
    • Posted

The standard lens provides good vision at one focal point .  If targeted for distance then you likely would need glasses for intermediate and reading - although some people do get intermediate as well.

Your IOL is settling and it will be several weeks before you can get an exact prescription.  If this eye ends up being a little more nearsighted you can ask the doctor to target the 2nd eye for distance as that would provide more useable vision and you wouldn’t need glasses for anything except fine print.   It’s called mini monovision- most people tolerate a small difference of .50 diopter between the eyes and actually prefer it to both eyes being targeted for distance.

But it really is to early to tell where your eye will end up for at least 3 weeks. To make adjustments to second eye it is always better to wait a few weeks between surgeries.  In Canada where I live most surgeries are 4 weeks apart.  

• Posted

You make a lot of sense Sue An. I asked them to target for best distance and ended up with great intermediate vision. Is it still possible for the distance to improve even with intermediate being so good? Also do you have any suggestions for what to do in the interim for my distance vision since I’m not comfortable driving with my current vision? I go see my Dr on Friday for my one week follow up. 
    • Posted

Yes still possible that your vision will change.   Your natural lens is 4mm thick and the IOL is just 1mm.  It will move back and forth and adhere and settle into pace within next few weeks.  That’s why surgeons cannot guarantee target. Vision can be off target .50 either wY.  Iny opinion better to end up slightly nearsighted than far sighted.  

During interim Injust pokes a lens out of my glasses.  

I believe you mentioned you didn’t need glasses prior to surgery.  Did you not need glasses for any reason?   I know you mentioned having prior lasik done so I am assuming your unoperated eye still sees distance well?  If that is the case you should be fine in the interim between surgeries.  Also this should be simulating what monovision is like with one eye at intermediate and other eye seeing well all distances.   Unless the cataract in your other eye prevents you seeing well.

• Posted

EXActly right SueAn. My eye, that has not been operated on yet,  is my non dominant eye andweaker distance wise BUT at this point even with the cataract it sees better distance than my operated eye and therefore I don’t feel comfortable driving. No glasses at all except readers. 
  • Posted

I had cataract surgery in my right eye June last year. For 5 days my sight was amazing. Then -- gritty feeling in eye, double vision, weeping and pain. Vision deteriorated to such an extent that I am now slightly short-sighted in that eye, with vision worse than before surgery and difficulty in seeing into shade or bright light. Consultant originally attributed problem to water in lens which would clear up with eye drops and or large floaters. Never has. Now suggested laser to burn off floaters, which might clear vision, or piggybacking another lens. Other eye needs surgery. Will hold off as long as possible before agreeing to further interventions. So v disappointing.
    • Posted

YEs it is! Especially when so many people talk about the great success they have with this surgery. What is your refractive error on the operated eye? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.