Cataract Surgery to have or not

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am almost 45 years young born with cataracts in both eyes hereditary in the females on my fathers side of the family it sometimes skipped generations. In the last 3 months my vision in my eyes have been declining drastically. I was always told that I would eventually need surgery. My issue is it is both eyes and am scared that if something went wrong. Does it hurt after the surgery? How long are you actually not able to work?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pamela - so sorry you have had to deal with cataracts so young.

I am sure your surgeon has mentioned that it is a necessary procedure once your vision cannot be corrected anymore with glasses or contact lenses.

I had cataract surgery at 53.   The procedure is basically pain free.  I took a week off work after each surgery.   Hopefully you have an excellent surgeon.  You may want to get a consultation from more than one expert for advice etc.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

As always, Sue An's advice is spot on.

Trust that you are staying warm up there on the frozen tundra  --  rather similar to our conditions here actually: snowing, windy, and -30°C.

Cheers,

Ed

• Posted

Do  you know if they do the surgery on both eyes at the same time?
  • Posted

Why do you say you were born with it?  Was it not serious enough to affect your vision thus far?
    • Posted

Not sure what Pamela’s response will be but when I was first diagnosed I did come across in my reading that some babies are born with cataracts .  Called congenital cataracts.  These  occur in newborn babies for many reasons that can include inherited tendencies, infection, metabolic problems, diabetes, trauma, inflammation or drug reactions.
    • Posted

Congenital contracts can lead to amblyopia in young kids. 

Seems like they can not interfere with vision. 

• Posted

Yes it has effected me thru out my life not enough to have to wear glasses full time.  
    • Posted

It is actually hereditary in the female side of my fathers family.  I have three daughters and my first daughter also was born with cataracts.  It seems to be quite rare and has been documented with Children’s Hospital here.    Thru out my life I was always wearing glass off and on.  I have been lucky that it hasn’t effected me to the extent of surgery until now.  It is something I need to consider.  My daughter and I have the cataracts in both eyes.
    • Posted

So sorry - must b difficult to cope and know it affects your daughter as well.

Trust you’ve been followed by an expert who can guide you through this decision and cataract surgery. 

In my opinion cataract surgery should only be undergone when corrective glasses or contacts cannot correct your vision and it sounds like that is where you are at.

Have you had a consult with an expert?

Wish you all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.