Cataract surgery two days ago

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had cataract surgery two days ago in right eye which greatly improved seeing close up but not far away I was currently wearing bifocal glasses . What do you do when you have surgery but wear glasses.. how do you go about functioning like driving while waiting for other eye to have surgery ? If you wear you're current glasses then the eye that has surgery is too strong for the current lens that's in glasses ? Has any one had this issue ? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The first thing you do is just take out the glass on the side of the operated eye from the glasses.

If you can operate reasonably well with that, you don't have to do anything.

Otherwise, the next best step depends on the glasses prescription on the non-operated eye as well as your best estimate of the prescription for the operated eye (even though it will change at least for the next 2 weeks). If there is more than a difference of more than 1D between the glass prescription on the 2 eyes, then the brain has a harder time adjusting to it.

• Posted

Yes I tried taking lense out and it was horrible .. couldn't see anything more than three feet away .  So now I am wearing my glasses just to function I have to work and drive just the operated eye with glasses on is very strong almost like seeing double out of that eye. My doctor told me to cope the best that I can until he can do the other eye so that's what I will have to do is to cope.. just so frustrating . Thank you for your reply though .

• Posted

It seems that your unoperated eye is also shortsighted.

In any case, my suggestion will be to get new inexpensive glasses with the new prescription. It will probably change somewhat in the next couple of weeks, but it should not be that big a change. Even you spend $70 - $80 for a pair of glasses, which may not need to throw away in a month when you have the other eye operated on, that could very well be worth it. Any way, that is a decision which you have to make.

• Posted

Sorry for the mistake.

I meant to say:

"..which you may need to throw away in a month...

and not "...which may not need to throw away in a month..."

• Posted

Yes my unoperated eye is very bad like I said I have worn bifocals for 14 years . The doctor that did my surgery is also my eye doctor he  won't do a exam for glasses right now since I just had my surgery this week he said to wait three weeks before that so I am not sure another eye doctor will help or not but I may try it I am just afraid that wearing my glasses with my surgery eye might do damage to my eye? But I have to be able to see to drive at night and to work .. I am calling eye doctor back tomorow. Thanks again . 

• Posted

Please tell your doctor that you will rather knowingly "waste" hundred dollars or so for temporary glasses instead of not being able to drive for a month (assuming that that is what you want).

In my case, My surgeon gave me a prescription about 10 days after the surgery even though he was going to do a LASIK enhancement on the same eye a month later. And my eyesight was not even as bad as your seems to be. I could drive reasonably well during the day: the new glasses were basically to be able to see a little better at night.

• Posted

My doctor put in a contact lens in the nonoperated eye so I could see distance.  The contact can stay in for up to 30 days.  That helped me.  I did get dry eyes, so they suggested Oasis eye drops for the eye with the contact.  After I finished my drops for the operated eye, I can use the Oasis in that one, too.

• Posted

The doctor did give me a contact .. told me to use it for far away and my surgery eye for close up.  But can not see to drive or work like that - maybe the contact isn't strong enough ? So right now I am wearing my glasses to function just the surgery eye it is hard to see good it's almost like seeing double .. hopefully getting other eye done in a few weeks so I can see or get new glasses. Thank you fir you're reply though! 

• Posted

My eyes were originally around -5.50 with -1 astigmatism.  I had the right eye done first (for monovision) and it came out at -2.25.  

I obviously couldn't wear my usual glasses after that so I had an optician put a clear glass lens in my glasses.  Unfortunately it didn't work for me because I had a difference of about -3.25 between my eyes and so I was seeing double vision! 

So then I just used a distance contact lens in the eye that hadn't been operated on.  I only had two weeks between each eye operation so it wasn't a long wait.

• Posted

My surgery in my right eye was also fir monovision .. so what surgery did you have for your other eye? Was it for  just distance ?  How's your eyesight now? 

• Posted

I had the left eye done for distance.  My postop prescription came out at 0 (left) and -2.25 (right) and stayed that way for all my follow up visits (last post op visit was mid March).

I went to get a new pair of progressive glasses last week (so I'm about 3 months post op now) and according to the optician my prescription is now -0.25 in the left eye and -2.25 in the right eye.  I need the glasses mainly for computer use whilst at work but I went for progressives so that I would be able to see distance and close up without having to keep taking my glasses off (which is what I find most annoying about the cheap pair of computer glasses I got a week after my second eye operation - I had to be able to see the computer for work so it wasn't an option to wait 3 months for my eyes to settle).

Can't say I've noticed that my left eye has changed as my distance vision is still excellent.  Adjusting to the monovision is getting easier though so maybe it's because the gap is now only -2 rather than -2.25 or maybe my brain is just adjusting.

I have Tecnis toric monofocals in both eyes by the way.

• Posted

Very interesting discussion. I asked my dr th same question, how can I work in between eye surgeries. Told me to take out the lens. I have found all of this information confusing, I couldn’t deal with it. I postpone surgery. I am very interested in your posting to help educate me when I decide in the far future. 
    • Posted

He told you to take out the lens ? What lens is he referring to?  Yes it is very frustrating to know what to do between surgeries as far as driving and working .. my doctor is very disappointing in helping me with this struggle .  That's why I went to this site to maybe get some answers as well. I am calling him

Back tomorow and let him know something has to be done as for now there is no way I can drive especially at night . I hope you find a good doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.