Cataracts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

I have been on and off of predinsone for the last few years for my autoinumne disorder, when I was 50 my eye doctor found that I had two small cataracts and nothing to worry about at that time could see just fine but last fall I noticed I was having trouble seeing clearly and at night driving. Went to see the eye doctor and the cataract on the riight eye had become bigger and worse from being on predinsone. I had cataract surgery last week and I am scheduled this week for the other eye at the age of 55. I can see so much better  I am on 20 mg of predinsone currently which I do not like being on it at all, my lips are peeling again and mouth and tongue are very sore. Too many side effects of predinsone, watch for any eye changes when taking this drug. I do realize younger people have cataracts earlier than 55 but normally they are taken off later in life. Take care everyone!

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sis

i too am on Prednisone for Chronic Urticaria ( hives ) and have been taking it for over two years now.  My doctor had me VERY GRADUALLY go down on the Prednisone 1mg at a time for several weeks before going down another 1 mg....so my body can adjust.  I am now down to 1 mg and Allegra a day for couple more weeks.  Then I will go down again  by taking the 1mg every other day.  If I go off Prednisone too fast my issues with the Urticaria will come back in a vengeance!  May I ask what auto immune disorder you are experiencing.....I don't know if my way of Prednisone would help you with your issue or not.  Yes, I too do not like being on it but it has given me quality of life so I take as less amount as possible!  Thank you for sharing about the cataracts.  I went to my eye doctor and he said to come back in 6-8 months as he is watching that issue with me.  So happy for you that the surgery is a success!!  I am 66.

please keep us posted.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy!

I have a auto immune disorder called Bechet's Syndome I was diagnosed in 2017 with it. I have been on and off of Predisone for a few years and take other meds for it as well. When I start to come off of Predinsone I do taper off the dosage per my doctor and have been down to 1 mg of Predinsone but when I go that low my symptoms start to return on the Bechet's which is no fun. Right now I am at 20 mg daily if this treatment does not work I may be looking at starting Humira in the spring which I am very concerrned about taking it the side effects and very expensive well. 

My next eye surgery is this week and I will be glad to be able to see clearly and no more glasses! Thank you for your support I really appreciate it. Take care as well. 

Sis 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.