Cataracts

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am due to have a cataract removed from my left eye in a couple of days. Has anyone else experience of this. My main concerns are:-

1. How do they freeze the eye
  2. Is it a painful procedure
  3. Will I see what they are doing to the actual eye.l

I am quite worried and on the verge of cancelling

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thankyou for the update James, so glad your surgery went ok yesterday. I will be off for mine shortly as my appointment is 1pm.

• Posted

Hi Sue, surgery went OK, procedure was completely painless however I found the numbing of the eye quite painful - I was given numbing drops and immediately afterwards the iinjection which I felt as the drops hadnt kicked in. Apart from that it was OK. Just carrying on now with the different drops - I am still getting a bit of blurry vision but have read this is normal.

• Posted

yes very normal - the drops are a pain and do blurr the vision but all necessary.

Out of curiosity why did they give you an injection? I had numbing drops but no injection for my surgeries. But I live in Canada so maybe they can't spare the expense - ha ha

• Posted

Hi Sue, I think you are probably right about the expense being an issue. Nothing was given regarding making you feel relaxed either as I know several people on here have mentioned Diazepam and Valium etc. I have 2 sets of drops, the antibiotic drops I am fine with but the other ones Maxidex, I find cause pain in my eye for about 20 mins afterwards but I must persevere. Thanks your your message though.

• Posted

Pain is so subjective and I do wonder if it is like any vaccination or needle - if they hot a nerve it can really hurt. Despite how nervous I was it really was not painful. Perhaps having an injection I would have felt it too.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

I think surgeons have different ways of doing things, I had my eyes done by two different surgeons, the first did not use injection, the second one did. And I went through the same drops, so I have no idea why, but both surgeons did a great job, even that they had different approach.

• Posted

Likely personal preference as you say. Also some may sense some patients may need a little extra to keep calm during procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.