Cataracts

Posted , 6 users are following.

About a 1 1/2 months ago, I noticed my vision changed. Especially when driving at night. Last week I went to the ophthalmologist, and she told me I needed cataract surgery on both eyes. Since my doctor's appointment (a week ago) to today my right eye has gotten significantly worse. I can barely see out of it. Very blurry! Has anyone else experienced such a fast decline (less than a week). T

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? Rapidly developing cataracts seem to occur more frequently in younger people, than the typical late 60's and 70's when most occur. Cataracts can also be induced with oral or inhaled steroid treatments. In any case the only solution is cataract surgery.

You may want to research mini-monovision as it is an option with minimal risk, but offers a full range of vision without resorting to expensive multifocal IOLs that can have adverse optical side effects. The more research you do, the more prepared you will be to make the necessary decisions required for successful cataract surgery.

• Posted

It can vary dramatically from person to person. I was diagnosed maybe a decade ago and my corrected vision was 20/40 and today I still only have one eye done and the other still corrects to 20/40 according to the eye chart (although subjectively it seems a little worse). Other people can have the vision drop off extremely fast.

• Edited

It's alarming that your right eye has gotten "significantly worse" and that you "can barely see out it" just one week after seeing your ophthalmologist. Traumatic cataracts and post capsular cataracts can progress rapidly. Diabetes can also contribute to rapid growth. Acute angle-closure glaucoma and retinal issues can also cause rapid vision loss. Do you have any of these issues? You may want to check with your ophthalmologist next week.

• Posted

Not me, and searching around, I find people saying that sudden cataract onset is months, not days.

You might try this search:

posterior subcapsular cataracts sudden

• Posted

posterior subcapsular cataract owner here. they progress rapidly and if they are in your visual axis the drop in vision is very fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.