Cataracts - op to be done for close work or distance - advice please.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need my cataracts done and I'm very scared! I'm extremely nervous about the op itself and also about the outcome and making a wrong decision: For various health reasons and being in a lot of pain I'm not out and about very much and when I'm at home I use my iPhone and iPad a lot when I'm sitting down. if I have my eyes done for distance which is what the majority of people have, I would have to use glasses every time I want to send and receive a text message, look on Facebook, use the iPad, look something up etc. - and because of this I've been advised to have them done one close and one close--and-a-bit. I'm also concerned that if they are done for distance I won't be able to see properly to do my make-up, particularly eye-make-up, which is important to me. I will be quite happy to wear glasses for driving, TV, cinema and theatre, which is what I do now. If any ladies have had their eyes done for close vision rather than distance, can you tell me can you see ok to use your iPhone and do your eye make-up? Equally, any ladies who have had their eyes done for distance vision, how do you find it for using iPhone, seeing texts, and doing eye make-up? Apparently make-up glasses are a huge nuisance and not terribly successful.  Any advice from either a patient or a professional would be most welcome. Thank you very much.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I have put questions and answers in before but just saw in your message some query that I too was concerned about. I have one eye that had deteriorated through premature cataracts caused by large doses of steriods for sarcoidosis earlier in my life. the worst eye distance prescription was 10. so I couldnt see very well at all at a distance. However, close up was clear but obscured by blind spots that formed a sort of semi circle just around the area used to read up close. So pretty difficult. Fortunately my other eye was not so bad.

The concern I had when having a replacement lens fitted was that the sacroidosis could flare us and also was the blind areas be repaired (as my consultant was not sure but thought that they could be caused by the light refracted by the cataract. 

Anyway, its all too easy to forget these sites when things do go wrong, as after all that when you are anxious and want advice etc.

I joined the blog when after chosing to go from a bifocal lens so I had a chance of seeing better at a distance but also the possibility to be able to read? (my dr said I would still need glasses for driving and maybe for reading ?) - I joined in the conversation when after the op I was having really annoying flashing lights at the side of my eye. along with sensitivity to light. I could not of sat here by the light writing this blog without shielding the side of my eye.

Good news is that has subsided. So much so its not really noticable at all. Its not 3-4 weeks after my op and I am looking forward to having an eye test to get the one lens in my glasses changed to use to drive. Although to be honest I am coping well enough to manage but need to check that with the optician.  With regard to reading, I can see a lot of things to read up close. I may need to move my phone away to say a foot from me but now I just have some cheapo magnifiers in my bag and I can see then super easy. Regarding makeup etc everything is fine without any glasses.I am really thrilled with the results so far. I know I wasnt going to bother with the blog now Im alright but I felt its important to write in as its positive news and so no to necessarily panic and as my dr said the bright lights are common and in a lot of cases with subside.

I must thank you all for telling your stories and my heart gopes out to those who are still suffering. I hope that you all find someone who can help very soon. Kind wishes to you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.