Cataracts with blended vision lenses

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am scheduled for cataract surgery and am hoping to be a candidate for blended vision lenses.  I wore one monovision lens years ago when i only6 needed correction for reading.  it worked well for years until my far vision deteriorated.  eye surgeon's nurse sent me home with a near-to-intermediate monovision lens to try (to make sure my brain would "accept" the blended vision option).

I THINK my brain immediately accepted this immediately upon inserting it in my eye but I'd like some opinions...  

Though a bit blurry, I can now read the computer screen and big-print in books.  However, driving was a challenge with the contact.  Last night I removed the lens on the contact lens side from a pair of Dollar Store glasses and and wore those with the monovision contact in and that made driving a bit better. 

I'm guessing that, since only half my vision is being corrected with this trial contact lens that this is to be expected & that once the other eye is corrected for distance, I will be ok but I'd like your opinions on that...

Also, when I put on the $ Store glasses (with the glass on the contact lens side removed), my reading and computer vision got even better.

If this means I'm accepting the monovision, I'll move forwarded on the "blended vision" option the surgeon is presenting.  (I'd hoped to go to thye Symfony lenses but they are out of m6 price range). 

I'm eager to stop wearing the trial monovision contact lens since driving with it is a challenge.  Though I can see things IN the car quite clearly looking down the road is blurry. 

Looking forward to opinions and advice.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is great that you seem to be able to adjust to monovision or blended vision easily. This provides you a lot of options. Currently, I have a monofocal lens in the left eye for reading and a Symfony lens in the right eye for the far (and intermediate) distance. This combination provides me good vision at all distances beyond 16 inches, but I do have night vision issues (multiple circles around lights in the distance) associated with the Symfony lens.

Any way, before I give you any specific suggestion, I will like to make sure that I understand your situation completely. I know that you are trying a contact lens in one of the eyes. What is the prescription for that eye? What power of reading glasses did you try?

Also, what is your best focus distance for the other eye or what is the prescription for that eye  to see at distance or near? Probably, it will be easier if you state each eye as left or right to avoid any confusion on my part.

• Posted

I'm not well versed n this but will copy my last eye exam info here: 

OD Sphere +0.75 Cyl +0.50 Axis 154 Add +2.50

OS +0.50 Cyl +0.50 axis 145 Add +2.50

i don't have access to my chart and that al the info i currently have.  they inserted a monovision reading lens to my right eye that i'm trying out.  I don't know what strength that is.  In the past the dime-store cheaters I have used to read were 275. 

i do realize this may not be the info you requested...

• Posted

Your prescription basically says that you are slightly far sighted in each of the eye, with a small amount of astigmatism in each of the eye. Also, it tells me that the 2.75 readers are just right for your being able to read at about 16 inches.

The reason you have trouble driving with the contact lens set for intermediate distance in your right eye is that you are not getting good distance vision with any of the 2 eyes with that set up. With the same contact lens for the right eye and with the left eye corrected after cataract surgery to have a good distance vision, you should be able to drive fine.

Your surgeon is basically on the right track. In any case, this will be my suggestion:

1. Assuming that your left eye is the dominant eye for you, have your cataract surgery in that eye first. Have the monofocal lens in that eye set for the best focus at far distance or very slight nearsightedness, ending with a prescription of -0.25 or 0.0 (a slight nearsightedness is better than any farsightedness).

2. Wait at least 2-3 weeks after the left eye surgery to have the cataract surgery done for the right eye. This will help ensure that you know what you have achieved with the left eye to make the best selection for the right eye so that the best blended vision (for your needs) is achieved.

• Posted

I really appreciate your help and your assurance.  I will do everything in my power to suggest numbers 1 and 2 to the surgeon doing my eyes.

May i feel confident that the "test" of wearing this monovision contact for a day or two has, in fact, proven that my brain is "capable" of handling the blended vision?

• Posted

I think that even though this test was short, it did prove that you are capable of handling monovision or blended vision. Given more time, the adjustment becomes easier and easier.

One point I should have mentioned earlier is that after you have had the cataract surgery done in the left eye, you should try more than one power in your right eye to see whether your prefer to have the lens for that eye set for near or intermediate distance. The best choice will depend on your life style and also when you want to use the glasses, if needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.