Catch 22

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had hearing aids for a few years now.  I first went to discuss my earing problem in my right ear only to be told I had a double perforation in my left!  Operation to skin graft a new drum over and I was left with 40% hearing on that side.  Now with 2 aids I have constantly suffered with infections and have been told the problem is that I need the aids to hear but the aids cause the build up of moisture which causes the infections.  Advice given is to use the aids only when I need to.

So now every conversation starts with, 'please excuse me while I put my hearing aids in'.  Surely theres a better way?  Advice anyone?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is this a BTE (behind the ear with the speaker wire attached to a dome in the ear canal), or one molded to fit inside your ear?  I wear BTE and there are different kind of domes you can use, some are solid for a better fit and sound quality, others have perforations that allow for some ventilation.  I use those and so far (3 years now), no ear infections.  
    • Posted

I started with ventilated aids but now have solids, problems been the same with each.
    • Posted

Ouch. So sorry to hear that.  I would think that the solids would exacerbate this kind of problem, that's for sure.  Do you take them out when you're exercising or sweating? 
    • Posted

I try to be selective about wearing them to reduce the amount of time I have them in, but I find even for a short while, they cause me to sweat within my ears.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.