Catch 22 question, laxatives and uti's or constipation and uti's?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Sorry if too much info.

I have been suffering with UTI's on and off for the past 3 years and ever since I had a hysterectomy, I have also suffered constipation on and off since then as well, I have been taking senna (1 tablet) each evening and it does help but and here is the catch 22, the fact that I take laxatives obviously creates more faecal matter to wipe (I do wipe front to back)  so possibly making it more likely for stray bits to go elsewhere, but if I remained a bit constipated that in turn can contribute to the bladder not emptying properly thereby creating a stale build up of urine that also contributes to uti's recurring. I am also vegetarian so eat plenty of veg, any suggestions would be appreciated, I seem to be going round in circles.

Constipation and uti's or laxatives and uti's?

PS. I also know that uti's can be common after menopause and also after hysterectomy because of lack of eostrogen, I'm 65 now and sooooooo glad to be a woman lol

I hope you can make sense of this

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd start with taking a good probiotic.  I started them while on antibiotics and continue to take them after UTI resolved.  It make a big difference in my digestive health.

I also use Estrace cream and I know that it has been my salvation for stopping the UTI's.  I understand the risk with it, so it's a choice only you can make.

I am home all day, so I can do a proper cleansing with soap after a bowel movement, so that helps too.

Do you drink a lot of water?  That helps with the constipation.  

I know from my research that retention can cause a UTI, but I've never understood why.  If urine is 

bacteria free, as it should be, then why does retaining it cause a UTI?  Anyone know?

• Posted

I can't use Estrogen creams as I had uterine cancer which was largely caused (or at least helped) by estrogen. I have to admit that not drinking enough (of anything) is a failing of mine and I have to force myself to drink, last Summer my GP asked me how much fluid I took in during the day and on the day prior to my appointment I had drunk 1 tea cupful of a barley coffee substitute drink (I don't drink anything with caffeine) and 1 glass of water all day, I just don't get thirsty much, I have tried since then to be good but it doesn't always happen, I know that drinking plenty of water is good for heart health too, I take 2 probiotic capsules daily, one of which is specifically for women's urinary tract problems, I also eat a good plain live yogurt each day, along with the usuals, D-Mannose,cranberry tabs etc, I think these do help to some degree as my uti's are not quite as bad as they were to begin with, I must make a concerted effort to drink more water though.

in answer to your query about urine, a womans bladder is similar a toilet, when you flush the toilet an amount of water stays in the bowl but it gets flushed clean each time it is used keeping it fresh, similarly if we flush our bladders with plenty of fluids and pee regularly keeping urine clear then there isn't a problem but, if like silly me you don't drink enough then the urine left in the bladder is more concentrated thereby making it less healthy, hope that makes sense?

• Posted

I’m

Taking Estrace too, my urologist/ob says the risks are extremely low, even though there are so many reports, and that the reports are from

Usage of 5+ years.  I don’t take a lot, but maybe once or twice a week, the size of my pinky nail.  Plus I’ll use an organic lubricant.  Totally helps ♥️

• Posted

I'm surprised that small amount and infrequency is enough to help you replenish the tissues.  I use more than that and I'm doing 3x/week.  I use the fingertip method; not the plunger.   Everything causes cancer.  Everything is a risk.  

If you have links to studies that have been done on the cream and cancer, would you private message them to me.  

I would also be interested in the name of your organic lubricant/

• Posted

Yes, let me send a pic of the lubricant. I’ll try to find the articles too! 
  • Posted

I think you might need a probiotic.  That helps mine.  I’m on menopause, 52, and I have had one horrible UTI.  Probiotics seems to do the trick.  You can message me if you want the name of my favorite!
    • Posted

Would love to know which probiotic is working for you, with UTI prevention. How do I message to you? We can’t pass along probiotic name in thread?
    • Posted

I haven’t seen a private message from you. Where do I go to see a private message? I see that one of your replies to me was “deleted by a moderator”. Was that your private message perhaps?
    • Posted

You should have received an email saying that there is a private message awaiting.  Messages

are in the "IN BOX".   Look up to the top right hand corner of this page.

• Posted

I am your age similar situation. I started using baby wipes!  They work great but I really think it is the lack of estrogen.  Have you spoken to a urologist?  I also use an estrogen cream.  Two months clear and that’s amazing for me.

But I won’t get too confident!

• Posted

I can't use estrogen, when I am unable to wash properly, I use moist toilet tissue which is also unperfumed.

• Posted

Phoebe, the water is really important for both urination and bowel function.  I was just like you.  Never thirsty and drank very little.  After many recurring UTI's I started force drinking water.  I drink no other liquids but water, and I measure it.  I drink 70 oz a day which is five of my 14oz glasses.  I think if you could try to do that, it would help with the constipation and maybe the UTI's too.   It IS hard to drink that much when you are not thirsty, but not a high price to pay to avoid uti's.

I also take a probiotic for female health, but also a probitioic for digestive health.  

• Posted

Hi Marilee, yes I know how important drinking water is but it makes me gag if I drink lots of it, what I will have to do is something a nurse once suggested, have a 2ltre bottle of water in the morning and drink small amounts during the day, I know that I am my worst enemy where drinking is concerned.

See how I get on today.

• Posted

I've managed 2 pints of water today..................I'll be up all night. eek

• Posted

Yea!   I am up several time overnight to go as well.  I guess it depends on how badly we

want to keep our bowels functioning well and avoid a UTI.  

I definitely do understand the gagging with water.  Believe me, I was just like you.  Before my UTI's, I never touch any water at all.  I drank coffee, ice tea, juice and sodas.   Even still, I don't gag, but it is quite unpleasant to drink water.

Maybe you could try weak, lightly sweetened, decaf Ice or Hot Tea.  Would you like that?

All clear liquids are good, but water is best of course.

• Posted

I noticed when I drink sodas it makes my UTI is worse I don’t drink sodas with sugar I’ll drink the ones with  Splenda  and it still causes burning .  Maybe it’s the caffeine.   Seems like when we’re right in the midst of menopause you have to be careful of everything you put into your body. Menopause is such a bummer and I hate the dryness down there too .  😬

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.