Cateract

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am having problems with my left eye , I had cateract on my left eye 7 years ago and it went very well, however I'm having a full blown panic attack, I cannot see anything but a wave of my hand right in front of me or the light coming through the window but cannot see inages, i have a dr appointment tomorrow, but I am scared to death I have waited to long and there is nothi g that can be done, any help would be greatfully apperciated thanks Tammie

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Sorry had surgrey on right eye and now having it in my left
  • Posted

If the bad vision in the left eye has gotten progressively bad (and not suddenly), it is probably caused by a cataract and should have a good chance of being corrected by a cataract surgery.

Am glad that you have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow to check it out

• Posted

You've taken best course of action by contacting the opthamologist and getting a quick appointment.  Is this something that slowly happened?  Vision loss slowly or quickly?   does vision come and go or is constantly this way? Try not to panic .  It could be a few different things:  detached retina possibly or lens dislodged?   

Hopefully tomorrow you'll have a clear understanding of what is happening.

• Posted

Sorry Tammie - I may have misunderstood your post.  Is the eye you are having trouble with the eye that was operated on for cataract surgery 7 years ago?  
  • Posted

Sounds like it's posterior capsule opacification on the eye you had the cataract surgery on (this is also called a "secondary cataract" even though it's not a cataract). They fix it with a laser treatment called a YAG capsulotomy.

• Posted

And my doctor told me it's very common even though every place I looked online says it's not as common as he said it is.

• Posted

Not sure about how uncommon it is.  Seems younger patients (under 65) have 50% chance of getting PCO vs 25% after that age according to some studies I read.  That is with uncomplicated cataract surgery.  Those stats go up or down if there are other eye issues going on.   

• Posted

The design features of the lens inserted at the time of the cataract surgery (the shape of the edges, for example) are a major factor in determining the chance of someone getting PCO after surgery. Unfortunately, the type of the edge best suited for lower PCO often has higher complaints about light reflections from the edges during lights from the side at night.
    • Posted

Cataract surgery - the gift that keeps on giving!   

Hoping I don't get PCO - sometimes that causes more glare too.

• Posted

Yesterday my doctor told me EVERYONE gets it. That scared me for sure.
    • Posted

And I think the lens I got makes it less like to get it, so I have to ask him about that when I see him again next week.
    • Posted

It wasn't my understanding that everyone will eventually get PCO.  Guess it is a question to ask.  Is there a cost to YAG treatment or is it covered by insurance/Medicare 

• Posted

Im also worried about PCO. I have a square edge abbott traditional monfocal lens implanted in my left eye. I get a crescent shadow sometimes . At first the shadow came out often and it was very annoying. Two months after surgery, I get it less often. It is ok now.
    • Posted

I'm happy to hear it's okay now Peter...try not to worry about PCO (like I'm going to try not to worry). I can be fixed pretty easily.

• Posted

I found this just now:

Treating Posterior Capsule Opacity

Fortunately, a YAG laser can treat posterior capsule opacity safely, effectively and painlessly. This procedure, known as YAG laser capsulotomy, often can be performed in your doctor's office.

YAG laser capsulotomy involves just a few simple steps:

Usually the eye is dilated before the procedure, with dilating eye drops.

A laser removes the hazy posterior capsule from your line of sight without making an incision or "touching" the eye.

Many ophthalmologists recommend anti-inflammatory eye drops following the procedure.

A laser capsulotomy is a relatively simple, in-office procedure that takes only a few minutes. A laser beam is directed at the cloudy capsule behind the intraocular lens (IOL) and the energy from the laser vaporizes the tissue, restoring clear vision.The procedure takes only a few minutes and is entirely painless; nor does discomfort occur post-operatively.

• Posted

I wonder if there are any natural supplements out there to help prevent PCO
    • Posted

Laser capsulotomy is a relatively simple procedure, but there are as usual, some risks associated with it (which are often minimized in a sales pitch, until one is asked to sign a 2-page sheet to acknowledge that you understand these).

Yes. I would not stop the prospect of getting a PCO from having a cataract surgery, but will definitely prefer a lens which minimizes the chances of that.

Also, the potential benefit of getting rid of the PCO has to be weighed against the potential risk. I have had a PCO in my left eye for about 17 years with only a small visual impact and have seen no pressing need to get rid of it.

• Posted

Is the Symfony lens design considered low incidence for PCO?
    • Posted

Yes. Symfony is made of acrylic and also has square edges, which correlate to lower incidence of PCO.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.