Catheter Ablation for AVNRT/ SVT - Feeling better already!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just sharing my experience and hope it may help someone. After suffering with SVT's for 7 years I finally had catheter ablation last Friday (7th July 2017).

Brief history- random SVT's brought on by a deep breath, laughing, bending over, coughing. Progressively lasting longer and making me feel worse during an SVT and afterwards. During April I had one or two a week, not having enough time to recover in between. Fatigued, anxious and limiting my activities just 'in case' I had an SVT. I have a 4 year old and 6 year old and so recurrent SVT's are not ideal!

I went back to cardiology who agreed I should go for ablation. Obviously I was worried about the procedure but could not live my life with the feeling of dread which was lingering over me every minute of the day.

I went for it on Friday. The whole process was amazing. I was given enough sedation to remain calm but 'with it'. Enough local anaesthetic to ease the catheters in. More sedation and pain relief during the ablation itself and a cuppa tea and toast ten minutes after it was finished! It took 2.5 hours from start to finish. The surgeon believes it to be successful but only time will tell. You have to wait for healing of the ablated areas.

I felt better immediately after. That is, suddenly not aware of my heartbeat which I could always feel before. I had elevated blood pressure of roughly 160/98 for around 5 years too but immediately after ablation bp is around 125/80 and still there!

The wounds (two on each side of my groin) are literally 4mm long each and are barely noticeable. One side is not bruised at all, the other side is a tad yellow.

I am very hopeful this ablation is successful and would say that from my experience a sudden SVT when you are not expecting it, somewhere where help is not easily reachable, that causes so many symptoms during and after and which truly intefers with your life, is far far, much worse then going to the Cath Lab for ablation.

I wish I had done it after my very first SVT.

It's just changed my life back and now I realise just how rubbish I've felt for years.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm very happy for you I'm having mine in 3 months, after a bad episode 2 months ago my body changed and my heart is so irritated high normal blood pressure a lot of ectopics constant dizziness and palpitations for doing minimal stuff is creeping me, so I decided to go for it...

This motivates me and make it less scaring!

• Posted

I wanted to post my experience as I was encouraged by reading other people's positive posts. All the best with your treatment.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience it is very reassuring. Good to hear it all went well. I am waiting to have my procedure done hopefully in the next few months. I have suffered with SVTs for 25 years now. Very scared about having it done but had enough now with constant palpitations effecting my life. Thanks again. Karen
    • Posted

Hi Karen,

I wish you all the best and with any luck you'll be a new woman in a couple of months! It was the best thing I could have done.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.