Catheter ablation for SVT/AVNRT

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a successful catheter ablation to resolve my more frequent  and longer lasting episodes of SVT. I have had SVT since I was born. I am a 51 year old male. I did not become cognizant of it until I was about 6 or 7 years old. The episodes would occur from a couple of times a month to several times a week and I was able to control episodes by performing vagal maneuvers. The episodes would last from a few seconds to several minutes. I had a few incidents that would last anywhere from 15 minutes to 90 minutes. Over the last several months I found that spiodes were occurring much more frequently and even back to back. It was beginning to affect the quality of my life. It became enough of a problem that it became difficult to actually work in the office. I left my left job because of this and after consulting with Cardiophysiologist, we determined that the best solution would be a catheter ablation. I had this performed on Dec. 15th 2016. It has been a week and a half since the procedure and I have had no episodes at all. The Dr. did say that I would still get the occassional sensation that it might come on, but that the signal had been interrupted and it would not actually take hold. I have felt this sensation, but I can say that at this point SVT no longer controls my life. Each person is different and symptoms may noy be the same for everyone, but I can tell you from personal experience, that it does become more difficult to control as we age. The good new is that it can be resolved with modern medicine. It was an outpatient procedure that took approximately 2 hours complete and I was awake during the entire procedure. The Dr. stated that in itself SVT is not a danger, but it can cause issues down the line as we age and if there is any plaque build up in your arteries, then it could possibly induce a stroke. I am greatful for the staff at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles and Dr. Debaisingh whose wisdom and knowledge where able to eliminate this hinderance in my life. It was the best thing that I could have done. Life goes on!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Henry. I too have SVT and had my first episode at 14 years of age. Since that time I've been told I suffer with Panic attacks and should seek cognitive behavioural therapy. For years I've said I don't have paic attacks but no one listened...until recently that is. Two months ago I was having a lovely hot soak in the bath. I came out of the bath, sat down to do my night time skin care routine and had a sudden urge to run away as fast as possible. (I alwyas have this sensation initially before full blown svy episodes. The attack lasted 10 minutes then it passed. I began to go about my business and without notice, I had the worst SVT episode I have ever known! I instantly told my husband to call for an ambulance. I was struggling to breathe, I felt light heaaded and my skin began to marble. When my husband rand 999 he told them 'she's having a paic attack.' I gathered everything I had and shouted this isn't a panic attack. Within a few moments the ambulance arrived. He hooked me up to a heart monitor and instantly said, 'this is NO panic attack.' In an odd way I was releived that someone finally believed me. My heart was beating at 240 bpm. Another team of medics were called at the ambulance believed they were going to have to put me to sleep then shock my heart back to normal. I remember laying perfectly still, a sense of calm knowing full well this was the day I would die. I had a lovely Canadian medic who assured me he would not let me die and that I needed to stay calm. I followed his every comman strictly. My life was in the hands of a stranger. The other medics arrived but they didn't have the equiptment needed either. A decision was made to get me to the hospital straight away. while we were in route to the hospital, we drove over a large pot hole and I can tell you I was never more happy to see a pot hole in my life. I looked to the medic and said, 'It's gone now. Can I go home? I feel perectly fine.' The medic looked at me with such relief in his eyes. He was gobsmacked that the pot hole shocked my heart rhythm back to normal. I went rom 240bpm to 135 in an instant. I was still taken to the hospital to get check over. I stayed for 12 hours without incident and begged to be released which they did. I was given some tablets Beta blockers and told when I have another episode, wait 5 minutes and if the episode doesn't stop, take a 5 ml tablet. Since that day I've had 2 more episdes. Lat night was the latest episode. Last ights episode was different to what I had normally experienced. I initially felt my heart slow and became light headed, instant dehydration, shaking, ice cold extremities but no marbelling of the skin. I also had intense pain in the left side of my chect which travelled to my jaw but it was very short lived. After 10 miutes I took 1 beta blocker which had no impact. I waited 20 more minutes then took another beta blocker. The episode lasted 1 hour and 25 miutes. The was the longest episode to date. Unfortunately, the beta blocked made me very nauseaus which wouldn't allow me to sleep soundly. It wasn't until 15 hours after the episode that the nauseaus feeling when, the pins and needles went...It was terrifying. I am seeing my GP on Monday and will inquire about the ablation. I'm willing to do anything to preent these vile, terrifying episodes. I'm so pleased that your results have been positive and I hope t have the same. Thanks for sharing your story Hnery.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

Best of luck to you and hope that an ablation is the right thing for you. Let us know how you do. There are definitely a lot of good people on here to offer advice and moral support.

Take care,

Henry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.