catheter ablation for svt yesterday

Posted , 3 users are following.

[color=darkblue:29f7116ce3][/color:29f7116ce3][size=18:29f7116ce3][/size:29f7116ce3]Had catheter ablation yesterday. Ask me a question while it is still fresh in my mind. Can't say i will remember tech. terms but give me a go.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for your offer to tell us about your experience. I was offered Ablation last September for my Svt but I am too scared to have the operation. Can you describe your experience for us all as the Doctors do not give any details, for example how long did you have to lay still after the proceedure? Have you had any episodes of SVT since your proceedure? I admire your bravery. Well done.
  • Posted

[color=darkblue:8af31b94ab][size=18:8af31b94ab]I was V. NERVOUS before hand and that was probably the worst part of the whole thing. I was escourted to the 'xray room' where I was greeted by a lovely man who just confirmed all my details were correct. He was the surgeon who I believe carried out the procedure. There was about 8 people in all, each with their own job to do. After getting up onto the table a women undid my gown attached a big square sticky pad to my back behind the heart, and draped a blanket over me, I led down and she attached all the ECG wires to the pads that were already there. (ECG done on ward). I could see a screen with my heartrate etc. As I waited another lady chated to me which calmed me little. Then sedation was put into the needle that was already in the back of my hand(Put there when I arr. on ward) I concentrated on the sound of my breathing which I tried to slow down...............The next memory I have was someone removing an oxygen mask from my face........next thing I know I am on ward. I am told I have to lie flat for two hours (was desperate to go for a wee) They gave me water through a straw as I lay there and Toast and jam (much appretiated) Once the two hours were up I was raised into a semi propped up position and gradually over the next two hours I was raised into a seated position and given sandwiches and tea.(still desperate for a wee) Then I was told it was time to get out, slowly, and walk up and down the ward. I did 2 laps and then went to the loo (finally). On the way back I realised I may have been a bit hasty I got dizzy and had to lie down. Apparantly I found out later that I had quite a lot of sedation during the procedure and also because I so needed a wee I had not drunk enough. I prodeded to drink a whole jug of juice and a cup of tea and felt great. 30ish more times walking up and down the ward (lots of sit down breaks) I was discharged. That was Monday now Wed. resting in bed (going to make the most of it) I may have had a couple of ectopic beats (told this was normal) but no full blown tachycardia. Fingers crossed that will be the end of it. Check up due in 3 months. A big tip to anyone going to have same is make sure you drink [i:8af31b94ab]plenty [/i:8af31b94ab]when you get back on ward [/size:8af31b94ab][/color:8af31b94ab][b:8af31b94ab][/b:8af31b94ab]
  • Posted

[size=18:eb74814c7e][color=darkblue:eb74814c7e]Above experience was submitted by Bednosdivad.....I couldnt log in for some reason so had to reply as guest...sorted it now :D [/color:eb74814c7e][/size:eb74814c7e]
  • Posted

[color=darkred:c29521d6f2][/color:c29521d6f2]Thanks so much for your long explanation I hope you are feeling well as the days since your operation go by. Please keep us informed through this site of how your recovery goes. All the very best.
  • Posted

Still no full blown SVT but my heart does thump and race slightly. Apparantly this is all part of the healing process so although it makes me aware of what my heart is doing I am not concerned with it. Taking Asprin for next 6 weeks to help avoid blood clots, again all v.normal for this procedure i believe :D [color=darkblue:1e211dfab8][/color:1e211dfab8][size=24:1e211dfab8][/size:1e211dfab8][size=18:1e211dfab8][/size:1e211dfab8]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.