Catheter keeps failing

Posted , 3 users are following.

my husband was advised to use a catheter as his kidneys were suffering. Apparently the prostate is enlarged but no idea how much he has only seen the Urologist once and nurses have fitted catheter twice. After a short time (the new catheter is fitted after 3 months) it keeps failing and of course that causes difficulties going out etc. Would anyone have any advice as regards any steps he should take. eg go down the removal of prostate road. He is 87 and type 1 diabetic and I dont know anyone who is having the same problems.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Can you be more specific on what you mean by failing? Falling off? Blockage? Bleeding? etc. Hank

• Posted

this is the second catheter which he has to have inserted by the nurse at the hospital. The first one was secure during the day but came i suppose you could say, uncoupled during the night. By using a bag this appeared to cure the problem. but it is during the day that the catheter seems to fail and he is wondering if 3 months is too long and the catheter becomes weak and breaks apart. He is to contact the hospital tomorrow to see if it can be changed. Actually on reading this my husband says it is not the catheter itself but the device that detaches and allows the urine to flow out. sorry I may not be expressing this very well.

• Posted

It appears that leaking is the problem. You should try to ask the catheter assembly to be replaced more often.

Another option is to have a suprapubic catheter with a valve installed.

Hank

• Posted

Another option is intermittent catheterization. If a doctor prescribes them he may be able to get Medicare and/or insurance pay for them. A urologist can instruct him about how to use them. He can also use washable re-usable red rubber/ latex catheters, they are more cost effective.

Thomas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.