Catheter's

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good Afternoon all.  I was doing some research on the internet and I read a article on a new catheter that they came out with.  It is suppose to stop infections.  As you know there are catheter's that are inserted into the penis.  That is the most used.  They do have a condom catheter also but never saw one in the hospital. You can get a UTI from them at any time you have to use them.  These are also offered to men if they can't pee on there own or after a procedure.  Some men have a problem with CIC or having to have a catheter put in for weeks or month's at a time.  This new one is called ** Men's Liberty ** There are some reviews on them but to me having the flower as they call it attach to the head of my penis and then pulling it off.  I don't know if it would be worth it.  But I guess it is worth not getting a infection or having to have a catheter put in.  I Have had some bad ones but that is life I guess.  I would like to know what some of you guy's views are on this form of catheter and if anyone has tried them.  Thank you for your time and good health to all.  Ken  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You would have empty it as soon as you use it or the pee would be all over you.
    • Posted

Not so - the bag has a tap. Just needs emptying when convenient. Would be OK for incontinence, but not for retention (which is my problem, so I need the internal type, with or without bag). I have used a condom catheter and bag when I had an infection. It helped for a long journey when I had frequency and urgency.
    • Posted

Sorry about that.  Was just thinking after Reg post.  You would not be able to use it unless you were able to pee.  So why make something like that. After surgery on the prostate you have to have something to get rid of the urine.  That would just be a waste of time.  Ken
  • Posted

If  it's not inserted into your bladder, can it still be called a catheter or it merely a way of collecting your urine before you wet your pants? To use it, you would have to be able to urinate on your own right? It's basically for incontinence? :

• Posted

Yes that would be true.  You would have to be able to pee on your own.  Ken
  • Posted

I am just waiting for a sample of this product after their Prelim interview to see if the product is suitable for my application as I had a Robotic Prostatectomy at the start of May. Currently in the daytime I am totally incontinent and the surgeon advises that as I had a TURP 18 months prior it makes recovery a lot longer. I tried using pads but due to me passing 200 + mls in 2 or 3 secs it flushed down and the pads would not absorb it quick enough and it was down my legs and soaking my trousers. Am now using the Conveen sheath system but the pressure can blow the joints apart and by 4 to 6pm in the day it blows the sheath off. The other system I will be sampling puts the sheath below the foreskin to hold it tighter they say, and you can maybe keep it on for 48 hours. Will have to try and let you know.

The other alternative being discussed by my Doctors is self cathing again to reduce urine in me with a tablet to reduce urgency in the hope that pads or nappy types with leg seals could work, the only problem is I don't know when I want to urinate and I can laugh, cough or get up from my chair and wet myself.

The good thing for me is in bed I only use a small pad with a nappy in case of emergency, get up once per night and get to the loo and the pad is barely damp all night.

Will let you know after a trial, but would appreciate any comments from anyone with similar problems.

David

• Posted

This seems like the type of thread that would attract Jimjames. I haven't seen him post in a while. Has anyone seen him post?

• Posted

Ken, Did my first trial with this Bioderm product ( Mens Liberty ) as it is known here today. First attempt was a disaster as petals did not stick at first and had wrap around cover in the wrong place. Next attempt got the petals right and had difficulty getting the foreskin back over it but succeded in the end. Was comfortable all day until 17.00 hours and felt a leak, from around my penis. It was coming off the same as the Conveen product does at this time of day. Not sure if pressure has done it again. My penis seems red and inflamed just now, but not painful. Will leave it a day and try again.  Seems a bit more difficult to use than the Conveen.

Just wish I could find a comfortable nappy pad to wear in the day without it feeling like a damp lump between my legs, any suggestions welcome.

Now been told that the sheath systems are not ideal for training to get rid of incontinence in the daytime by a Physio Continence Advisor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.