Catheter valves

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had foley catheters using the large bag for collection for some time now. I asked my urologist about using a catheter valve such as the flip flo instead of using a collection bag. I am worried that using the straight drainage system into the bag will cause the bladder to lose tone and I will not be able to pee again. Anyone any experience using the valves. I gather they need to be replaced every week or so but are not that expensive. I would think that the valves are also preferable to having to carry a bag all the time. I found the leg back not worth using, as it does not hold much and is a bother to set up.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How are you doing Ken?   Any update? 
    • Posted

I have had the flip flo valve in for over a week now.  We changed to a new valve yesterday as recommended----every seven days. It was easy to change. It has worked perfectly and is far superior to having the bag. I use it even at night although some change every night to a large bag. As long as you wake up regularly before you bladder is too full there is no problem. I wake up a number of times each night but have no trouble getting back to sleep. There is no problem leaking so far as the fit is tight on the catheter end. 

I was going to get a strap to strap the valve down but it seems to work fine with no strap so I dont think I will bother. It is a shame so many people are stuck with a leg bank or the larger bag when the valve works so well. I found the leg bag a nuisance since it has to be strapped on and then taken off at bed time and the bag did not hold that much. The valve is much better for the bladder and I dont have to use one hand to carry the large bag.

• Posted

So you simply stand over toilet and open it? What catheter do you have? 
    • Posted

Yes exactly. Its just a standard Foley catheter, Medline I believe. You need a fair bit of strength and dexterity to open and close the valve but one gets used to it. It is a stiff lever mechanism. However, overall it seems to me a lot better than the bag. If you dont feel the need to go, you should probably change to the bag at night. I was worried about the connection coming loose but so far there has been no trouble.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.