Catheterization

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had Rezum procedure 7 weeks ago. Doc said he was "aggressive" with the steam, as I had a serious urinary retention problem ((600 ml+). Had Foley cataeter in for 4 days after and couldn't urinate when taken out. Have been doing self-catheterization for nearly 7 weeks now and still can't pee without. Last saw Doc at 3 weeks and he said this was "normal, given how aggressive I was with the steam." Next checkup isn't until mid-December. Is need for catheterization "normal" this long after the procedure?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try a water pill diuretic or it may take months to restore itself.
  • Posted

No, its not normal. but there are a lot of possible reasons. How large was your prostate? The bigger ones take longer to heal and to get results. Its also possible that the major part of your problem is bladder related and that can encompass two different things. 1) Your bladder wasn't/isn't functioning. 2) The procedure shocked it and sort of locked it up. That happened to me and my doc prescribed Myrbetriq to calm my bladder down. It worked, I stopped taking it and all is well.

Did they do a urodynamics test on you before doing Rezum? Also, I found that peeing came back slowly - at first just a few dribbles, then a short stream, ect. Are you able to void naturally at all prior to self cathing? IMO, you should be evaluated prior to mid December and more effort should be made to figure out why you aren't recovering. One thing they could do is try a temporary stent - even for a few minutes. If that allows you to pee, you can be reasonably assured that eventually, the swelling will go down and you'll be OK. If not, then your prostate isn't the main cause of your problem. The good news is if your bladder is the issue, the best hope for recovery is self cathing. Hank1953 and jimjames have both had significant improvement from self cathing.

• Posted

boyd9308,  I had a turp done around 15 months ago.  I was like you, had to wear a catheter after the surgery and could not urinate on my own. Today, I can urinate on my own, but not that much volume. I self-cath, daily around 2 to 4 times a day. I've gotten used to it, and it's the best thing that I've done for my bladder and prostate. I'm hoping that after doing it for so long, that I will have similar results like JimJames on this forum.  Good luck with yoiur situation!

• Posted

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. 'll give it another couple of weeks before calling my doctor. I appreciate your experience and the time you took to reply.

• Posted

You might want to try Myrbetriq sooner than that. It takes 2-3 weeks to work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.