Cauda equina like symptoms following urethroplasty

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had urethroplasty surgery on the 29th of September. I had to wear a indwelling catheter for three weeks post-op, which I had removed 2 days early due to developing a UTI (removed 19th October). I am now on a course of antibiotics.

On the same day (19th October) I awoke that morning with numbness engulfing my genital area, including scrotum, my buttocks and tops of my thighs. Today I awoke with tingling numbness in my lower legs and two of my toes on the right foot.. My GP checked me over, also checked my anal tone (which was normal) but all things combined I can't really feel myself go to the toilet.

I spoke to the surgeons receptionist who assured me after receiving word back from one of their surgeons that this was normal, however I find this confusing as no other doctor seemed to be able to catch this. Not my GP, not the team at A&E.. no-one..

Can anyone shed any advice/insight into what might be happening and if this is indeed normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi how is ur outcome from getting a urethroplasty I also had one done in September but now the flow is slowing down again still better than before . also still suffer from a bit of pain and numbness in the grown area
    • Posted

Hey Pete

I have improved tenfold since posting this however I still have some numbness in the groin and lower legs. I think it's just a matter of time and letting the body heal. I never experienced anything like these symptoms following the urethroplasty I had previously so this entire experience was unnerving to say the least. My best advice is to just relax, eat healthy, take gentle exercise and see how you go.

• Posted

U say u have had a previous urethroplasty why did u have to get it again . I am a bit worried that this is going to be a ongoing problem for myself .
    • Posted

It was part of another procedure, I'm hopeful I won't have to go through it again but the sad fact is it's something I have no control over. Hopefully you won't ever have to endure it again mate!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.