Cauda equina syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

I all of a sudden lost bowl control,wetting myself and hah horrible back pain with numbness in my toes and developed a slight foot drop, even scratching the top of my toes from my feet dragging on the concrete. I went to the hospital.  They only wanted to give me an ex ray,buy  I fought for an MRI. Thr doctor said I had a slight compression on the nerve that controls the bowls

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I feel they are discriminating against me for lack of health insurance. Is that condition supposed to be an emergency
  • Posted

In my opinion it sure sounds like an emergency.  Had my doctors in the ER,matter of fact it was 2 seperate hospitals, wasted 2+ days deciding what it could be I would not have a severe case of CES.  It's been 21 years now and I have to self cath, I use wheelchair for long walks and in my kitchen, I wear AFO's on my feel and legs so my feet don't drop. I could not live with the "bowel program" so I elected to get a colostomy.  Good luck and keep us posted. 
    • Posted

I was able to find a neru surgeon in Tampa willing to take a look at my MRI,free of cost, because he sounded concerned that I might be right. The back pain is better but the loss of bowl control came back today.  After 3accidents I am really scared and don't know what I should do while I am waiting .this could take a few weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi I wouldn't wait I would go back to hospital in meantime take it easy and rest ... It's a horrible illness a year after my surgery I am a few weeks out my wheelchair can walk a little but not far have constant back pain and left leg and foot are numb and give me so much pain my left foot drops too and I have no feeling for toliet at all vowel or bladder .... Hope you get seen to sooner rather than later xxxx
  • Posted

Yeah you have a few of the red flag symptoms ... I would say you have a medical emergency xxx
  • Posted

I think you could contact a lawyer specializing in malpractice cases. I thinks sometimes the first consultation is free of charge. And you could just say in the hospital that it  could be costly for them if they don't treat you right and you end up having serious ilness.

Your case really should be treated as emergence even if in the end it would be something else though symptoms are clear enough. Really losing automous muscle control is real bad sign what ever it is and they should not give up at the hospital before they know what it is. If it is cauda equina you should be treated immediately.

• Posted

Hi Helene my name is maria I am 31 and I too have CES on Feb 22 2015 I lost all bowl control I went to a hospital by my house and they sent me to lakeland fl hospital...CES is life changing so if it is early for you I would look up and down and fight everyone and yell for someone to listen to you .. My life went from being great to not walking or using the bathroom on my own . now all I am doing is playing the waiting game to see if I will be able to do some what normal things again .. If you have not got help I sure hope you do soon .. Prayers your way!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.