Cauda Equina Syndrome

Posted , 15 users are following.

My name is Rose and I suffer from Cauda Equina Syndrome , I have been neglected by my hospital and delayed surgery and diagnoses led me to suffer this condition. I m in process of prosecution and like to find out a few things from other pations who suffer from this :

1) had anyone had back problems before suffering from Cauda and do they experience more back pain since they suffered cauda?

2) did anyone had to have a disc decompression? Or fusion - if so did the fusion make any difference to back pain?

3) has anyone got numbness and pain in a leg and saddle area , is the leg weak and needs support with a walking stick/crutch

4) how dose the condition effect you? Did you have any problems before Cauda Equina?

I m really greatfull for any other sufferers to come forward and share a few information please

I am open to any quetions from other sufferers , the more information I can get about living with this condition the better , many thanks in advance , Rose

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rose I too was neglected by three doctors finally I had decompression back in Sept, 2013 I have not been able to walk

without a cane for 3 1/2 yrs after surgery lots of numbness is gone

Can move my leg a lettle more this is horrible song  I want to walk again some day .

• Posted

Hi Rose, I can see it's been almost a year since you posted, but I guess CES is something that takes years to get used to...I had a prolapsed disc in 2005 when I was 33, which resulted in CES. Almost 10 years. I have saddle anasthesia, loss of muscle control and sensation down the left side of my left leg and to a lesser extent the right side of my right leg. I damaged all the nerves controlling the detrusor muscles, so I have to self catheterize to pee and number twos are rock solid (lol eugh). Over the years I gained a lot of weight as a result of the reduced mobility and a period of depression, and the side effect of anti depressants that saved me.. At that time, it felt like I was at the bottom of the ocean. You have to go through that process of denial, anger, depression, acceptant to reach a better place and I did. I started going to the gym again and using the crosstrainer which is great because there's no impact on the spine and it exercises the legs and arms. This last year I decided to control what I was eating, and took out all the sugary stuff and restricted myself to around 1800 calories per day. I've lost more than 7 stone in one year and weigh 14 stone 10 (I'm 5 ft 11). I'll reach my target of 11-12 stone by Christmas. Reducing the weight has made things easier: less pressure on my hip bones and spine, helped me avoid diabetes, and I look better, and feel more confident. CES is definitely weird as a kind of 'hidden disability' in that people don't necessarily see you as disabled, and certainly don't know unless you tell them what the nerve damage, numbness, electric shocks etc. feels like. But going to the gym, eating less and eating healthily does a huge amount of positive to counter the negative associated with CES wink
  • Posted

In terms of prosecution for medical negligence, the sooner the better. There's a time limit of 3 years from the point at which the patient learns that the negligence was the cause. In my case, the injury occurred in January 2005. I went to the Western General Hospital (Edinburgh) accident and emergency but the receptionist  / nurse told me I'd have to see my GP. I made an emergency appointment with the GP who examined me, spoke to a consultant at the Western, and they agreed it was an emergency and I was scheduled for surgery that same day. They did an MRI scan, and found two discs had prolapsed, with inner disc material pressing into the spinal cord. They operated. Two days went by but there was no sign of improvement. They did another MRI and discovered that the surgeon, Mr Lee, had only operated on one of the prolapsed discs, and missed the other one, so they operated again. It was only four or five years later that I read that any delay in treatment of CES can worsen the damage. I spoke to my MP and she wrote to the hospital. They wrote back to me, detailing the surgery, the mistake that had been made, and apologized, though they denied that the mistake had caused the CES (which I'd never claimed had). But it did, I believe, worsen things. The hospital felt able to apologize etc. because they knew that the time limit had been passed. So it's business as usual for the hospital, and the surgeon carries on with his fantastic life with a £100k salary or whatever. My own life was put on hold for these last 10 years, like a prison sentence, and career was over before it began. But I'm not one for carrying negative feelings around with me, and I am my life and career off the ground again. Lost more than 7 stone this last year, Eurovalve will hopefully release their new discreet alternative to catheters next year, and I'll qualify as a librarian in a couple of years.  
    • Posted

did you consult with an attorney anyway? Of course they will deny and apologize. Its not coming out of the hospital or the surgeons pocket anyway. They are insured.
  • Posted

Hi Rose, I had my op in August this year I have suffered with back pain for a long time but I had a colonoscopy on 28th June this year from then on it's all been down hill for me any way, I still struggle to walk so I do have walking stick it does help,I have noticed lately when I do walk I seem to breath so I have to slow down or take deep breaths, does anyone else suffer with this, I still do have back pain, when I walk sometimes it's like I have bad hips, hope this helps take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.