Cause

Posted , 3 users are following.

It has been observed by many creditable and well-regarded souls (few of whom actually have any official medical qualification) that an eternal strife for perfection can bring about the symptoms of IBS.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have heard many suggestions that IBS is linked to anxiety, in persuit of perfection. I am unsure whether anxiety is a cause or consequence of IBS, but have heard that it can cause symptoms to flare up. I am interested in this subject area and would be grateful to links to find out more.
  • Posted

What??? I have heard the complete oppposite!!! I had heard (and have witnessed it secondhand) that a complete lack of care for perfection can be a cause. When life gets stressful and a person no longer cares about how they look or work etc the condition can begin. However i have never seen any evidence supporting either theory and would be interested to see if some research had been done.
  • Posted

I have encorporated an element of IBS research into my latest of many lenthy and detailed dissitations, as I have a keen interest in the topic, and have discovered (on some somewhat unfounded occasions) my hypothesis to be true. I have focused my study mainly on young people in single sex education in and around the Cambridge area and the results have been quite enthralling. It seems that upon exhibiting obbessive and/or frenetic behaviour, girls in particular, have started to develop signs of the condition. This condition, due to its confusing and perplex nature, has gone undiagnosed by medical professionals and incompetant school nurses alike and consequently has not recieved the exposure it is due. I fully accept, however, that correlation does not necessarily mean cause and I am quite willing to note any other findings which may be of relevance. I have poured much of my time and resouces into the research of IBS and therefore believe that whilst I may not be 100% accurate, reliable or precise in my studies and I have no actual first-hand experience of the condition; my findings are still valid and can be of extreme use in furthering our understanding of this persistant and destructive illness.
  • Posted

It is true that IBS is twice as common in women as it is in men, see information page. I have little detailed knowlage of this subject area yet have heard links to the syndrome discussed previously. I cannot claim to have the educational prowess of Miss Taylor however, I believe her theory to be true. I have heard reports from various sufferers in my social circles, that IBS is a particular problem around exam time.
  • Posted

I to have had experience with IBS and think that the findings of Isabel Taylor are most accurate and will and would be veryt greatful for more information on your research, please call ****

[color=green:93e3308002][size=9:93e3308002][i:93e3308002][b:93e3308002](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, a postal address and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/b:93e3308002][/i:93e3308002][/size:93e3308002][/color:93e3308002]

• Posted

I am afriad that i strictly operate within the boundaries of self-help sites such as this one and consequently will be unable to answer your request of a telephone call. If however, you would like to ask any specific questions regarding my work, feel free; otherwise please follow me around the internet where I intend to benefit sufferers and medics alike with my truely priceless and invaluable knowledge.
  • Posted

I agree with Miss Taylor on this subject, my friend Juan was diagnosed with IBS last summer, which I believe a cause of this was due to the \"persuit of perfection\". Consequently I myself have become very interested on this topic and have been conducting a very similar study at the moment in Valencia, on a wide cross section of people. I would be extremely interested on hearing more information about your research as i am sure it would greatly benefit Juan and many other IBS sufferes.
  • Posted

I've suffered from IBS for around 15 years (I'm now 36) although it was only actually diagnosed about 2 years ago! Initially the doctors thought it was endometriosis as I had painful sex and a bloated stomach. They checked this out and couldn't find anything and that was the end of that - no further investigation was done. I basically just \"put up\" with it as it wasn't too bad - just bouts that came and went. 2 years ago however I experienced a lot of stress when my sister died and I didn't eat properly for a few months. :cry: I was constantly tired and suffered extreme bouts of constipation (often for 2 weeks before movement) and then I was suffer incredible stomach cramps and would need to rush to a loo whereupon I would stay sometimes for hours. My doctor has been nigh on useless and is not really interested in helping. I've discovered over time that potatoes and bread in particular bring on a huge amount of bloating so I try to only eat small amounts of these foods. I've also found that if I skip a meal for whatever reason that this brings on the stomach cramps. Maybe this is the reason that students seem to be suffering? I've tried various over the counter medicines and none of them really seem to help with the bloating. Windeze is about the best. As for the cramps they come on suddenly so it's impossible to take medicine to avoid them. I've learned to live with it and try to manage my diet better. This does seem to help. smile
  • Posted

My ruthless pursuit of a 1st for my BSc was achieved, but it also made my IBS flare up. I think there is a definite link. I have been told by friends I have a slightly obsessive personality and am trying hard NOT to be a perfectionist and to be easy on myself. I am my own worst enemy - no-one else puts any pressure on me to be perfect all the time!
  • Posted

[quote:1b3364d859=\"Mad Mitch\"]I've suffered from IBS for around 15 years (I'm now 36) although it was only actually diagnosed about 2 years ago! Initially the doctors thought it was endometriosis as I had painful sex and a bloated stomach. They checked this out and couldn't find anything and that was the end of that - no further investigation was done. I basically just \"put up\" with it as it wasn't too bad - just bouts that came and went. 2 years ago however I experienced a lot of stress when my sister died and I didn't eat properly for a few months. :cry: I was constantly tired and suffered extreme bouts of constipation (often for 2 weeks before movement) and then I was suffer incredible stomach cramps and would need to rush to a loo whereupon I would stay sometimes for hours. My doctor has been nigh on useless and is not really interested in helping. I've discovered over time that potatoes and bread in particular bring on a huge amount of bloating so I try to only eat small amounts of these foods. I've also found that if I skip a meal for whatever reason that this brings on the stomach cramps. Maybe this is the reason that students seem to be suffering? I've tried various over the counter medicines and none of them really seem to help with the bloating. Windeze is about the best. As for the cramps they come on suddenly so it's impossible to take medicine to avoid them. I've learned to live with it and try to manage my diet better. This does seem to help. smile[/quote:1b3364d859]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.