Cause of blood and protein in urine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just had a routine physical and had a flashing blood test and urinalysis done. I barely squeezed out enough pee, but I did. Now the urinalysis came back with trace amounts of blood and protein. I have no symptoms of any UTI, and I have had them in the past, so this is kindness of unsettling to me in the absence of symptoms... but I tend to get freaked out and jump to crazy extremes with any symptoms.

I have to go back next week for another urinalysis to make sure it's clear.

Would being pretty dehydrated from fasting for 16 hours cause that? Or is it only infection related?

What can I do to help clear anything up if it's not bacterial before next week when I go back in? Cranberry? Just tons of water?

Is this fairly common and I'm freaking for nothing?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about protein but I recently had a pre-op assessment prior to my cystoscopy for recurrent UTI and three urine samples showed White Blood Cells present when sent for analysis but there was no infection. My cystoscopy was normal but my Consultant told me that the WBC in my urine were nothing to worry about at my age. Drinking water is fine but cranberry can sometimes irritate the bladder although it is supposed to be good for UTI.  I don't know why you fasted for 16 hours, for my fasting blood tests I only have to fast for 12 hours and can drink water so I don't get dehydrated which is very bad for you.  Hopefully all will be well when your test is repeated but do PLEASE CHECK about fasting because I have never known fasting to mean that you cannot drink water and I have six monthly checks due to my high blood pressure/diabetes/high cholesterol.  Let us know how you get on. Take care and try to stop worrying.

• Posted

It was fasting for my bloodwork. It was 14 hours because I hadn't eaten or drank after 7 the night before and was there at 8 and hadn't gotten a chance to drink anything at that point, and after bloodwork and the urinalysis it was almost 9.

I just wonder if that is what caused some issue. Again, I still have no symptoms of any UTI, so it bothers me making me wonder what it could be from. I'm 37 and healthy in every other way. All my bloodwork came back normal as well.

Since I don't have to fast at all for a simple urinalysis, I will be plenty hydrated when I go back. Trying to drink a ton of water over the weekend so that I'm flushing anything out.

• Posted

I think you are doing the right thing drinking water but don't overdo it, I think 2 litres is about the right amount but others may suggest more.  Take care

• Posted

You should not stop drinking water for fasting blood tests, just food and other drinks like tea, coffee, soft drinks. Good idea to drink plenty now but don't overdo it, might cause overload problems if you do! Drink water before you go for blood test next time. Best wishes, x rolleyes

• Posted

You are allowed water for a fasting blood test, you can even have a glass of water while you wait.  just no food or other drinks past midnight.
    • Posted

Yes, I walked in the blood clinic for a fasting blood test with a bottle of water. The nurse said you do know you can't drink that after the first test? I did know and sat dozing on a bench while I waited the 2 hours for second test. (For blood glucose levels). rolleyes

• Posted

I had your problem,  I ended up seeing a urolagyst , having a cystoscopy, a ct scan and reg routine urine tests all came back normal it could have been a uti, or a reaction t amoxacilion.  Anyway I worried like you and stressed out like no ones business for months to find out two months later everything looks good.

i do recommend you drink 2 1/2 L of water a day,  also for some reason urologists hate coffee,  I guess because it takes 3 cups of water out of your body and makes you acidic.  This goes for all sodas,  and sad to say chocolate.  I am sure your fine you may have been dehydrated next time you fast drink water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.