Cause of “Foggy Head”?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Many on this forum suffer from foggy head syndrome, even when medication has brought our levels in normal range. Many people with hypothyroidism of course do not have the foggy head.  They are out there living healthy lives, and we never encounter them here.

So my question is: does anyone know, or have theories about, the mechanism behind foggy head and why some hypo people get it and some don’t?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I feel wretched every morning, as in medicine head, can't wake up. I'm on 122 synthroid and liothyroxine.

• Posted

I believe we’re all different in that our bodies respond differently. Speaking generically some people feel fine and are asymptomatic with a TSH Of 2.5 (assuming nothing else going on). I can barely get out of bed at that level and feel like my “body is dead”. Maybe there’s more at play with what our bodies demand and what we ask of them. I think each person needs to be addressed individually for their specific scenario. Just my opinion. I get foggy brain with low thyroid but other factors, (the ones I know), low vit D, low iron levels may compound the presentation and challenges!
  • Posted

Hi dave6496

I do not know of any definitive research giving an explanation of foggy head. However, from my own understanding and suffering from cyclical periods of foggy head, I believe there may be a connection with how under-active thyroid is associated with the inflammation response, causing aches and pains in joints and the body's serotonin. I think King's College in London are carrying out research looking at the links between inflammation and depression, where by the latter is actually caused by inflammation rather than serotonin and therefore the expressed symptoms looking like depression should be treated as an inflammatory response. 

Foggy head is a feature of depression and I have found that at times taking a short course (3-6 months) antidepressants helpful. I have also found that treating inflammation with homeopathic medicines has brought fast foggy head symptom relief and in fact more speedy that the time it takes antidepressants to work.

I hope this gives you some food for thought and wish you well in learning about managing your symptoms most effectively.

• Posted

That's great information.  I was just reading a research paper the other day, in which I learned that depression actually makes the brain shrink and it losses some volume.  Very interesting..

• Posted

Thanks Zoe, food for thought.
  • Posted

So...does depression cause foggy head or does foggy head cause depression? In my case I would have said the latter. Can you name the homeopathic medicines?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.